Sign in to follow this  
stabbington

Hide footer, Full width plus canvas

stabbington

Hi all! Firstly, thanks so much for making the process of making a blog so delightfully straightforward - I've never used blogs or wordpress before and Pagelines has really made it a breeze! The one thing that has eluded me so far is how to get rid of the black void where the footer is usually located. here's the test server we're running; http://www.usefulplug.com I have all footer widgets disabled and have tried adding into both custom css and base.css (via the editor) random codes like; #footer {display:none;} #footer{background:transparent} I can't pin down what it actually is using firebug, which might be due to my complete noobery. I guess it's just bg color showing through, but I'd really love it if it could either be transparent (showng our blue tiling bg image) or just not there at all! Cheers!

stabbington

Hi Catrina, thanks for the quick response! I'm not sure if I have actually disabled it or not. I have no 'simple footer' or 'morefoot' boxes present on any of my page templates and the 'site footer' and morefoot area' templates have no sections assigned at all in template setup. When I look at the edit post page there's no checkboxes under footer in section control, yet still he black bars are present...

stabbington

No luck, I'm afraid! I've tried this in the custom css and the baae.css file via the editor. I wonder if there's something else overriding this or whether it's something other than the footer causing the big black space? Thanks again for the rapid help, though!

kastelic

Try this:

#page-canvas{padding-bottom:20px}

stabbington

Hi Jimmy, that's had an effect! I can now manually control the padding of that section, which is a huge step forward. I have to set it to something quite long (so that it spans as many browser/resolution types as possible) but then I have scroll bars on pages with little text content and giant padded gaps at the end of pages with lots of text content (such as my categories and posts pages), which is not quite what I'd like. Is there maybe some way to dynamically stretch the minimum height of the page canvas to browser height or screen resolution? I tried some googled css stuff about setting body heights but I couldn't get it to do much.

Kate

Hey Peter, It is possible to do it with CSS, and also possible to write some Javascript for it.

stabbington

Hi Kate, thanks for the help! I worked out, via the comments in this thread - http://www.pagelines.com/forum/topic/7030 - that the modifications I'd made to the #cred thingy in my custom css was overriding the the #footer {display:none;}. It all works perfectly now! Cheers again to everyone for all the help!

stabbington

You know, I think I spoke too soon - I just tried it on an even bigger monitor - looks like I just fluked the padding settings on that particular machine. So I'm still left with a big black space at the bottom of the home page on higher resolutions. Oh dear.

stabbington

Well, I've fixed it in a way - #footer {display: none;} .canvas {background-image: url("BG_Tile.gif"); background-repeat:repeat;} This does enough to hide the footer and then fill the voided space with my tiling bg image, which is good enough for my simple needs! Thanks again for all the speedy help, it was much appreciated and definitely got me in the right direction.