Sign in to follow this  
christian_w

Images in main navigation

christian_w

I'd like to place images next to the text links in my main navigation. I want the images only to show for the links in the main hierarchy (Home, Kriminalit?¤tstheorien, Personen) but I intend to include a nice hover effect (replace the images on mouse over). I managed to embed the background images. However, right now the images appear also in my drop-down menu.

#primary-nav .menu-item-26 a{
	    	background: url("images/theory.png") no-repeat scroll left center transparent;
	    	margin-right: 5px; }
So I tried this instead, which solves the problem above but works only when the page is not in "current state".
#primary-nav li.menu-item-180 {
	    	background: url("images/home.png") no-repeat scroll left center transparent;
	    	margin-right: 5px; }

You'll find my page under http://krimtheo.criminologia.de. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

catrina

Try this instead:

#primary-nav a.sf-with-ul {
	background: url("images/home.png") no-repeat scroll left center transparent; margin-right: 5px; }

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

christian_w

Thank you Katrina, that's it. Just for further references I post the code I finally came up with: Show images in navbar for menu-items with submenu-items

#primary-nav .menu-item-xx a.sf-with-ul {
	    	background: url("images/image1.png") no-repeat scroll left center transparent; margin-right: 10px; padding-left: 25px;}
replace image on a:hover
#primary-nav .menu-item-xx a:hover.sf-with-ul {
	    	background: url("images/image1_hover.png") no-repeat scroll left center transparent; margin-right: 10px; padding-left: 25px;}
Show images in navbar for menu-items without submenu-items
#primary-nav li.menu-item-yy a{
	background: url("images/image2.png") no-repeat scroll left center transparent; padding-left: 25px;}
replace image on a:hover
#primary-nav li.menu-item-yy a:hover{
	background: url("images/image2_hover.png") no-repeat scroll left center transparent; padding-left: 25px;}

Kate

Thanks for posting back, Christian. I'll mark this as resolved.

josh1178

This info is great and I was successful, but can someone please tell me how I would go about remove the text from the menu entirely so I can just have a pic for my home logo? If I delete the text from the wordpress menu, wordpress removes the page from the nav bar automatically. I'd also like to remove the 'hover' effect, so that I just have a home icon that changes color, but the home menu area doesn't change shade. Thanks!