Sign in to follow this  
cirrusdesign

Posts within pages

cirrusdesign

Greetings...I am trying to create a page, that shows posts of a certain category. I have managed to do it using boxes that use an image that has a link to points to the post, but this seem pretty cumbersome as I have to create a box every time i create a new post. Is there a way to set up a page so that it automatically gets the new posts of a certain category???

catrina

It depends on your theme and how you'd like the posts from the category to display. Do you want the full-content posts or post excerpts to show or a list of links to those posts? I'm assuming you're using PlatformPro. Is that right? There's also the alternative, which is to create a custom menu and add a link to a category so that only those posts in that category are displayed in the page.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

cirrusdesign

Hi Katrina, thanks... What I would like is a page similar to this one http://whatcomfolkschool.org/the-importance-of-re-skilling but without doing it with pagelines boxes...as that seems a bit redundant...I am familiar with the custom menus but doesn't that just create links in a menu to the posts? It would be OK if the page only showed the excerpt and then people can follow the more link to finish the article... any ideas???

catrina

Check this documentation: http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages#A_Page_of_Posts This set-up can allow you to display posts of a category, but it can be re-formatted to show boxes with excerpts. Is this what you're looking for?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

cirrusdesign

Hi Catrina, I figured it out by using a plugin called page links to...thanks for checking back. patrick...

wendygordon

catrina. can you explain how to reformat the pages of posts code to do the following? i want a page of 6 boxes. The content for each box should be an excerpt from 1 of 6 posts. when you click on the image in the box or the "read more" link (i don't care which), i want to open the actual page from the post. I am new at this and need a step by step along with the code to insert. thanks so much. wendy

wendygordon

catrina. can you explain how to reformat the pages of posts code to do the following? i want a page of 6 boxes. The content for each box should be an excerpt from 1 of 6 posts. when you click on the image in the box or the "read more" link (i don't care which), i want to open the actual page from the post. I am new at this and need a step by step along with the code to insert. thanks so much. wendy

suepreme
Above you say: Check this documentation: http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages#A_Page_of_Posts This set-up can allow you to display posts of a category, but it can be re-formatted to show boxes with excerpts. Is this what you're looking for? HOW do you reformat to show boxes with excerpts?

catrina
Have you tried the plugin suggested above?: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/page-links-to/ (this might be the easier route)

Designer | Catrina Dulay

suepreme
No sorry. Still a newbie. What I need is Pagelines boxes or soapboxes that are placed on a page to show only an excerpt from the full text of the box. I'd like to have a page with 6 boxes (either type) that provides information about 6 products (for example). Some of the product descriptions are quite lengthy (but need to be used over and over - so I thought a box would be a good modular object for this purpose). I can't get a nice neat page with 6 boxes all the same size. I've looked at all the settings until I'm cross-eyed, but can't figure it out. (FYI I know I can make this work with regular posts - but the look isn't appropriate). Thanks in advance.

catrina
To add excerpts from posts to soapboxes, there is a way to add a shortcode that generates the excerpt in a soapbox, but the code will have to be edited manually each time so that the right excerpts are being added to the right soapboxes as each blog post gets posted. There might be a way to add post excerpts to a page and then style them similarly to soapboxes (so that soapboxes aren't necessary).

Designer | Catrina Dulay