Sign in to follow this  
thelobbyist

NRBCOM Ongoing Project Questions

thelobbyist

Two quick questions: 1) On my home page (nickrbrown.com) you will see that it is posting two full excerpts (correct) and then 8 tiny excerpts (incorrect). I'd like to just have 2 of those tiny excerpt rows so that it shows 4 total tiny excerpts. Is there a setting for this? 2) I can't seem to find the CSS tag to change the hover color of links in my widget text boxes. Thanks!

timlinson

1) Change the post count in WP Settings > Reading > "Blog Pages show at most" 2) Do you mean "text boxes" literally? `.textwidget a {color:#123456 !important;}` All widgets? `.widget-pad a {color:#123456 !important;}` If you mean the twitter widget, the 2nd css rule from my last post should do it.

thelobbyist

Thanks Tim, On #2 it was the first thing you said. I just had to add the :hover to it. Why do you use "!important;" after the color code? What's the significance of that? Thanks!

studio8c

If you assigned !important to the first rule, then the second rule would be ignored because the first rule now has precedence

thelobbyist

Ran into two other CSS item I can't track down. 1)Using this as an example post: http://www.nickrbrown.com/tech/the-universal-service-fund-and-taxing-internet-content-providers/ Just above the comment box at the bottom it says something about "One response to blah blah blah" and under it is a title to a post that links to the article which is "NickRBrown | Blog | Is the tax man after Netflix?" "NickRBrown | Blog | Is the tax man after Netflix?" is in black and I would like to change the color to white. I thought it was .comment-title but that doesn't seem to do it. 2) Under the comment box, how would I make the box around the button transparent, and then maybe make the text bold and underlined. Or if you guys had any suggestions to make the button look a little better and pop a bit that would be great as well. Thanks!

thelobbyist

Cool. Thanks Kate. I've got another one that's killing me. I've fixed up my form the way I want it, but when my cursor sits in a text box the background changes color. I'd also like to change the text color to white. So here is my contact form: http://www.nickrbrown.com/contact-form/ 1) Click in one of the text boxes and then move the cursor away. You'll notice that the transparent background suddenly becomes white. I'd like it to remain transparent. 2) I'd like the text typed into those text boxes to be white.

catrina

Does cforms come with CSS styling that you can edit? The background color is changing because of some kind of on-focus (on-click) capability that's being controlled somewhere in the CSS...

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

thelobbyist

I'll have to look into that. I've been altering the cforms CSS the same way as everything else so far.

catrina

Okay. Just look for something that says "on-focus"... that styling is causing the text fields to change color.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

thelobbyist

Thanks. Ran into an interesting problem tonight. Any published post where I have used uppercase Z translates into a space on the preview or published piece. For example, let's say I type, "The Zebras go home at midnight" in the editor, the published sentence in a blog post would read, "The ebras go home at midnight." lol I don't even know where to start with that. Strange glitch....

Kate

Hello... So, you're typing that in and not copying and pasting, correct?

cmunns

Are you using Cufon font replacement?

thelobbyist

Was using Reenie Beanie font under the Typography settings. I am not using a font plugin if that's what you're asking.

Kate

And does it happen with other fonts? One other thing, as a side point: You probably shouldn't use font replacement for the main content (the majority of the text), as it can slow the site down.

thelobbyist

I changed it back to Molengo which was the default font. The site does seem slow on that note. But changing the font back to default doesn't seem to help.

Kate

Do you happen to have any plugins that modify the text editing area?

Kate

Hmmm... I'm actually seeing the "Z" just fine (in Firefox). Which browser(s) are you using, please?

thelobbyist

Interesting. Just checked on Safari and the Z's are fine. I am using FireFox when working on the site and that's the browser I'm having the problem with. Let me check FF on some other machines. Maybe we are seeing a FF browser plugin issue.

thelobbyist

The problem occurs in IE9, FireFox, and Safari. After checking a few comps and an iphone and an iPad it appears that the problem only occurs on my desktop, which is my home office workstation. Very strange. Indicates to me that this is a Windows 7 OS font issue and has nothing to do with any of the browsers.

thelobbyist

Can you be more specific? I've changed the font in the platform pro settings and it results in the same thing. There should be no reason why I should have to adjust the OS font if it is working fine on other computers as my OS is just using default fonts.

thelobbyist

I was able to modify the styles for most of my needed changes in my buddy press section, but I've run across a few things I need help with. http://www.nickrbrown.com/members/admin/ If you follow that link you will see what I'm looking at. 1) I'd like text in the buddypress nav (i believe it is something to do with #buddypress-page #object-nav) "Activity, Profile, Friends, Groups" to be white. 2) When one of those nav items is selected and has the little white box around it I would like the text in the box to be black. 3) As you can see at the bottom of the page the buddypress stuff has pushed my right sidebar to the bottom. I'd like to left align the buddypress stuff to the left edge of my banner, and then shrink the right side of this frame so that my right sidebar can be right aligned to the right edge of the banner. If I can knock out those three items and then go back and fix the text boxes for my contact form that You guys have already commented on I think I will be good to go! Thanks!