Sign in to follow this  
jingram

Post Excerpts Questions

jingram

I hope I am posing this question corrently. On a site I am setting up, I currently have my home page displaying posts and those show an excerpt of the post to the point of where I ad the <!--more--> tag. All of these posts belong to a category and those categories are all belong to menus or submenus that is displayed on every page as part of the theme. My problem is that while the perusing through the posts on the home page, everything looks perfect. However, when I cruise through posts on the category pages that I clicked on under the menu, everything is supressed and just shows the title of the post. In order to actually read the post you have to click on the title. I want it to look like it does on the main page found here: http://www.kayakexpeditions.org/ Instead of what it looks like here: http://www.kayakexpeditions.org/?category_name=kayaks I'm sure this is something stupid, I just can't seem to track it down. Any help you can provide would be most appreciated.

jingram

That ads the excerpt the the category pages, but does not display the picture or the <!--more--> tag so it doesn't look identical. Basically I want the layout to be identical just filtered down by category under those menus.

jingram

I had to remove it because it also added the excerpt into the home page posts in addition to the excerpts I created. I looked for answers in the previous thread, but didn't see how that directly applied to me.

catrina

In Theme Options, go to Pages and Posts and select the option Show full content on all blog pages under Full Post Content Placement to see if that works.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

kastelic

I'm stumped then. Someone smarter should come along soon...

jingram

Any additional help on this. Basically all of my posts on the posts page look fine. I have this page linked to a menu called Reviews. Underneath that menu, I have sub menus which are point to wordpress categories. Each post gets added to a category for auto classification in the menu. Unfortunately, when I click on a submenu it pulls up the correct content, but not in its entirety. It only shows the heading for that article, when in fact I want it to show the content blurb exactly as seen on the primary post page called Reviews. Please see the images below for examples: post-issue1.pngpost-issue2.png

cmunns

In _posts.php look for this : `<?php if(pl_show_excerpt($post->ID)):?>` (line 45) and change it to this: `<?php if(pl_show_excerpt($post->ID) || is_category()):?>`

jingram

All it did was add an excerpt to the bottom of the post. It doesn't actually look like the first example shown in the image above. It is still live if you want to take a look.

kastelic

Marking for the developers to help you.

jingram

Will look forward to their response.

cmunns

Then just as you did before we can also do for thumbs. Same file. `<?php if(pl_show_thumb($post->ID) || is_category()): ?>`

jingram

No dice... nothing changed in firefox and in IE I am getting JS errors:

Webpage error details - User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)
	Timestamp: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 22:38:33 UTC
	Line: 71
	Char: 9153
	Code: 0
	URI: http://www.adventurekayaking.org/wp-content/themes/iblogpro/core/js/jquery-ui.custom.js?ver=1.0
This is the code that was changed:
<?php if(pl_show_thumb($post->ID)): ?>
				            		<div class="thumb left">
										" rel="bookmark" title="<?php _e('Permanent Link To', TDOMAIN);?> <?php the_title_attribute();?>">
											<?php the_post_thumbnail('thumbnail');?>
It was changed to this:
<?php if(pl_show_thumb($post->ID) || is_category()): ?>
				            		<div class="thumb left">
										" rel="bookmark" title="<?php _e('Permanent Link To', TDOMAIN);?> <?php the_title_attribute();?>">
											<?php the_post_thumbnail('thumbnail');?>

Again, not after thumbnails and excerpts so much as the built the posts showing up identically under those category linked posts as they do on the main posts page. Not sure if any of this is making sense or not.

bryan-hadaway

Let's get you bumped up for further developer help. Thanks, Bryan

cmunns

The code that was changed shouldn't affect the js. A js error is something else entirely. If the code you modified was wrong you would get a PHP error. You may have to also add the conditional to this line: `<?php if(!is_page() || is_category()):?>` to make sure it's entering into that area to begin with...if you still run into problems email me directly adam [at] pagelines.com and I'll see if I can sort it out.

cmunns

Jack the screenshot you sent me via email is the problem. You need to choose All Posts and blog Pages for thumbnails of excerpts instead of "none" which you currently have selected

jingram

Adam and I managed to get this resolved via email after much going back and forth. The issue was line 54 in the _posts.php Originally the line read like so:

<?php  if(pl_show_content($post->ID)):?>
The change I made was to this as per Adam's suggestion:
<?php  if(pl_show_content($post->ID) || is_category()):?>

This provided the behavior I was expecting and it works great. Note that this only seemed to impact iBlog 4 Pro, I tried this on Platform Pro and it did not have the issue and no php editing needed to take place. Hopefully this type of stuff is minimized once Pagelines standardizes around Platform Pro and makes these other themes child themes as has been discussed.