Sign in to follow this  
michaelchristonsayerscom

Previous/Next navigation - How can you make it stick within a category?

michaelchristonsayerscom    0
michaelchristonsayerscom

Hi there (Third and final question of the day!) Is there a way in iBlogPro to make the next/previous navigation at the top of the page stick to specific category? So if user was in category "X" then the next/previous navigation would cycle through category "X" posts only. If I was in category "Y" it would cycle through category "Y" posts only. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance again (really digging the theme... and making great progress on using it as a theme for membership site... Just need to get these things sorted so I can truly be rocking'n'rolling!) AS

cmunns    16
cmunns

look for functions_body.php and search for this: ` function pagelines_postnav(){?>

<?php previous_post_link('%link', TRUE) ?> <?php next_post_link('%link', TRUE) ?>
<?php } ` make sure as above you add the TRUE parameters.

michaelchristonsayerscom

Hi there - Thanks for the answer ...but that didn't seem to make any difference :-( If I navigate to a post in category "X" and I then use the prev/next navigation at the top of the page.. then as soon as it gets to the end of the posts within that category the prev/next navigation just goes onto posts in the next category... Any other ideas? Thanks in advance, AS

catrina    103
catrina

Try replacing

<?php previous_post_link('%link', TRUE) ?>
and
<?php next_post_link('%link', TRUE) ?>
with these codes: ` <?php previous_post_link('%link', TRUE, 'EXCLUDEDCATEGORYID#HERE') ?> <?php next_post_link('%link', TRUE, 'EXCLUDEDCATEGORYID#HERE') ?> ` Replace
EXCLUDEDCATEGORYID#HERE

with the category ID numbers for the categories you want excluded. (Separate the category ID numbers with commas like so: 12, 6, 15... etc.)

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

michaelchristonsayerscom

Thanks for the suggestion Catrina, however regrettably that won't work for me either as I need the next/prev to work on all categories... So excluding a category would cause a problem... In other words, when in category "X" next/prev works within category "X" posts only... but when category "Y" next/prev works within category "Y" posts only. Being more a user than super-techie, the ability to navigate like this within a single category seems quite intuitive... so it would be great to be able to make it happen. :) Thanks again for the suggestion. AS

catrina    103
catrina

I'm not quite sure why Adam's suggestion wouldn't work. It is a suggested function as shown in the Codex here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/next_post_link#Text_As_Link.2C_Without_Post_Title.2C_Within_Same_Category

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

kastelic    6
kastelic

I think you are missing the second parameter which I have used the default for below:

next_post_link('%link', '%title', TRUE)