Sign in to follow this  
gayatriom

How to have Social Icons without Navigation menu

gayatriom

Hey. So my homepage for logged out users doesn't have the default navigation menu for the site. But my client still wants the social icons in the header below the branding. How can I still insert the icons on that homepage (which has no menu)

bryan-hadaway

My guess is you're using CSS to hide things for logged out users or perhaps conditional PHP? Either way we need to see the code and get a link please. Thanks, Bryan

gayatriom

Hey Bryan. Well. i'm using the S2 member plugin to restrict free members from certain parts of the site. Either way I am using the plugin to stop people from accessing anything without signing up for a free or paid membership and like you suggested I am going to try to use the redirection plugin to direct logged out users to a certain homepage and logged in users to a another homepage. I've not really touched the code yet. All i did was use a feature template that has no navigation menu. But the problem is that the navigation menu is 'linked' with the social icons and for obvious reasons I don't want to keep the menu on my homepage which will be for logged out users. So the question is. If I am not using the navigation menu, how can i still get those social icons in the header?

cmunns

You could hide the nav ul with CSS or use a hook to show the social icons in the branding area instead. Either way if you dive into some custom stuff make sure you actiave and use PlatformBase. any hook would go in the functions.php file and there is a video in the docs to get an intro to how they work. I could help you from there

gayatriom

oh. hmm. well i'm already using platformbase. I don't know how to create a hook. can you help me? i'll look at the video and see what i can figure out on my own.

cmunns

Wait a minute....the social icons are already a part of the branding section, not the nav section...so I don't understand the problem Are you explaining this correctly?

gayatriom

hmm. really? I can't seem to be able to keep my social icons without keeping my navigation menu.

gayatriom

hmm. really? I can't seem to be able to keep my social icons without keeping my navigation menu.

gayatriom

Hey I figure it out. I don't know why it wasn't working before. It's fine now!