Sign in to follow this  
icjackson

How To Remove White Space Beneath Featured Image

icjackson

I don't mind hacking core files if I have to, I just need the text to wrap around the featured image ASAP - using Platform Pro with Platform Base child theme. Thx :-)

Kate

Hi Ivo - Copy template.postloop.php into your base theme. From there, all you'll have to do is break the featured image out of it's container div, and move it into the excerpt area. I don't have the file in front of me right now, but if you need help with that, I'm sure we can get you on the right road.

icjackson

Thanks, Kate! I'm going to try it on my own, but that help you're offering - I'll take it, just in case ;-) Got a magazine to publish *biting nails*

icjackson

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. I got Pagelines for an online magazine, so this bug is REALLY frustrating, considering that the whole publication is now at risk. Thanks in advance :-)

bryan-hadaway

I think I've seen this issue, can I get a link? Thanks, Bryan

icjackson

Hi Bryan, Our site is scheduled for pre-launch today, so I removed the images from the posts, but I have seen others on the forum with the same problem, but I haven't found a solution. In case you can still benefit from the link, the URL is http://www.onemagusa.com. All the text becomes indented and the image seems to sit in it's own div outside of the excerpt and/or the full post. The text doesn't even wrap in the full post! I'm good at following instructions, and again, I don't mind hacking core files because this feature is paramount to the success of the magazine. I tried Kate's advice to no avail; the closest I got was getting the image to sit under the text, but the text was still indented. *sniff* :'-(

Guest Guest

Are you able to put the images back up briefly? If I see the issue I can (hopefully) help you resolve it.

icjackson

Hey gang, Had to table this project for a week, but now I'm back! Since uploading Pagelines 1.3 I've noticed that the text wraps around the featured image in the full blog post (thank you, Jesus) but it still lies in it's own div and flushes all of the text to the right on the blog post page, whether in blog mode or magazine mode. Furthermore, when I put it in magazine mode, the article titles on the clips disappear!!! :-( Thanks for all your help; this is a bit of an emergency, guys. URL: http://www.onemagusa.com/blog

Kate

Hey Ivo - Unfortunately, as I mentioned in the other e-mail, you'll have to modify template.postloop.php if you want to change the functionality.

icjackson

Hi Kate, You offered to help with that, so I am just waiting on the instructions :-) Thanks

cmunns

Look for this line: `

` and change it to this: `
` Do the same for this: `
` to: `
`

icjackson

Thanks Adam...however, the fix actually broke my theme. The text wrapped around the thumbnail, but the title became misplaced (pictured below). It also caused my sidebars to be pushed down beneath the blog excerpts. But at least we're close...just waiting on the proper tweaks :-) 1mag.jpg

bryan-hadaway

Okay, I better let Adam continue with his custom solution for you... Thanks, Bryan

bryan-hadaway

Actually, everything looks good to me in Firefox. Is this perhaps specific to IE? Thanks, Bryan

Andrew

wait a minute here guys, I followed this thread and I can't figure out exactly what you're looking for, but it seems like it should be possible via CSS. Alternatively, you can just not use the thumbnail functionality and you can add your images to the excerpts directly. Can I get a before and a desired after?

cmunns

Yeah I do agree with Andrew..you could just add the thumb directly to the content and align left, but my concern was that it would eliminate the options built-in to show the thumb.

icjackson

@Andrew I would like the text to wrap around the thumbnail image in the excerpt much like it did in the image I posted...except with the title appearing before the body, where it's supposed to be :-P If you can offer a CSS fix that will post a thumbnail directly into the excerpt, that would be GREAT! I'm not stuck on using the featured image to get the job done. Thanks for all your help, everyone :-)

kastelic
``

Try moving this line of code above the line that starts with

`

Make sure it's below the beginning of the 'if' statement.

icjackson

Thanks, Jimmy...moving that line as instructed actually put the thumbnail above the title on the full post page and does not change where it appears in the excerpt (same as image above)...and my sidebars are both still pushed down beneath the body. Still hopeful for a permanent fix. I really need this. Thanks, guys. :'-) **NOTE: If it helps, I noticed that even if I don't use the featured image, just having the augmented template.postloop.php file on my site, even if I don't use the featured image, breaks the theme and pushes the sidebars down below the body. I put the file in platformbase, but when I tried putting it in platformpro the same thing happened.**

cmunns

Ivo did you try just using the "show full content" option and allowing it to show directly from your single page, instead of showing thumbs or excerpts at all? DOes that make sense?

icjackson

^^^^ It does make sense, but it's not an option. I purchased the framework for an online magazine, so I need, almost more than anything else, excerpts with thumbnails. Can't start actually publishing the zine until this problem is resolved :-(

cmunns

I hate to say it but this is something then that simply has to be coded. We offer a variety of setup/configurations, but making fine-tune level changes like this often isn't as easy as it would seem. It can be done, but requires some PHP/HTML knowledge. I hate to say it but are you willing to hire someone to do this. It would probably be worth your time and only take someone about 20 minutes if they know what they're doing.

icjackson

^^^^ I understand what you are saying, but I purchased Pagelines, a magazine theme framework, for an online magazine, and being able to have text wrap around a thumbnail image is pretty standard functionality for Wordpress in general, much less a WP framework for magazine-style websites. I'm not willing to pay someone to do something that should come as a standard option in such a software package. I hope I don't sound finicky, but there is an expectation of usability attached to such a product, and I'm highly surprised that such formatting is not built into Pagelines. I hope that in future releases this will be taken into account. I'll contact support from here. Thanks, everyone :-)

bryan-hadaway

This is a WordPress thing, you need to choose the option align left, right, center etc. when inserting an image. However, we could easily enhance this too with further CSS. Although I don't see any images in your posts? Thanks, Bryan