Sign in to follow this  
Karoleena Homes

Carousel crashed site?

Karoleena Homes

Hi there, Just having massive problems with our host GreenGeeks here. They took our site down with no warning because we're on a shared server and I guess we've been leeching all the space and affecting other websites etc. The message we got was: It has come to our attention that your user has been using excessive resources and your account has been suspended to prevent further service interruption for other customers. ### karoleen karoleena.com 9.51 1.10 0.2 Top Process %CPU 73.0 /usr/bin/php /home/karoleen/public_html/index.php Top Process %CPU 1.0 httpd [karoleena.com] [/wp-content/themes/platformpro/sections/carousel/images/car] Top Process %CPU 0.6 ### Right now, you have the option of optimizing or fixing the issue to prevent this from occurring again. If optimizing/fixing the issue doesn't prevent the issue from reoccurring, it means that your account is no longer suitable for the shared hosting environment and you will need to find another web hosting provider. My question is, with only about 1000 hits today, how could this have happened? It looks like the issue might lie with the Carousel on the homepage if you look at the paragraph above from the tech support people. We've arranged to pay for an upgraded server and apparently the issue is being worked on (website is still down) but I want to know how this happened in the first place with so few visitors. Please - Any ideas? Can I somehow have optimized the site to prevent this from happening? Thanks, Amanda

Karoleena Homes

Thanks Bryan. Great feedback on servers and choosing the right one. Just wondered though if Pagelines products are more 'bandwidth heavy' than other WP products...? In my message above from the server, they mentioned the carousel. Is that just because that's the item that might draw the most memory to continuously update everytime a new visitor shows up? In general, we had about 1000 hits today... Any reason that should be too much for a shared server? Thanks for your thoughts.

Kate

Hi Amanda - Without knowing your account specs (what you were "allowed"), it's hard to say. But, it would have to be awfully low to not be able to support that. It may be a little more "bandwidth heavy" than a plain text blog, if you have options like the carousel. But, not necessarily more so than comparable themes, if that makes sense. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with your hosting company, btw.