Sign in to follow this  
jimanderson

Using a the Child theme called Base

jimanderson

I am reading through the documentation and it is confusing. I bought PageLinesPro awhile ago. I installed it and have been trying to learn it. I read in the PageLines Docs, "Using a child theme is the recommended way to customize a theme." ... but it does not explain why. I read the link to Codex and it says, "That way, when the parent theme is updated, your modifications are preserved." Is this the reason for using a child theme? Are there any other reasons? (they are not explained in the documentation). If I export the Theme Settings to a file, switch to the CHILD, then import the Theme Settings will I preserve my work? Besides switching to the CHILD THEME BASE, Is there anything else I need to do in order to use this product correctly?

makeylon

Yes, the main reason behind using a child theme is to prevent having upgrades mess with changes and modifications you've made. If all your changes are in the child theme, then upgrading the parent theme (PlatformPro) will give you all the fixes and new features while all your changes are safe in the child theme. There really isn't much in the way of other reasons. Export then import SHOULD work for you. But if you've made css or function or code changes to any of the files in the parent theme, you'll have to make sure you move those changes to the child theme as well. Just make sure you have the BASE theme activated. It will draw all necessary code from the parent theme for operation, even though the parent theme is not the active theme. Both the parent and child must be installed, but the child is the active theme.

joan54

I have the same confusion and some additional questions.. 1. So i have to activate PlatformBase and all changes should be made on the folder "platformbase" ? 2. I have PlatformPro 1.2.2 activated, not PlatformBase...so if I activate the PlatformBase, will I lose the changes I made? 3. I have just noticed that you guys have PlatformPro Version 1.2.3. Should i replace this new version in the folder "platformpro" in order to upgrade? 4. I am using WPMultiSite option, and buddypress, so I have to activate then "PlatformBase" in every one of my sites? 5. Finally, I have just upgrade WordPress 3.1 There is a admin Bar on top of the page, What controls that and where i should make changes? PlatformPro or PlatformBase? The template is really great but I need help with this. Thanks, Luis