Sign in to follow this  
mammoth

2 Problems With Social Media Sharing Icons

mammoth

Hi all... Problem #1: I've been fiddling around trying to get the four sharing icons at the top of my page into a text/html widget in the sidebar and so far I'm not having any luck. I know I could just upload a new set and link to that, but I like the subtlety of these and the B&W/colour rollover. Can anyone help me get those four into a widget without too much headache? Problem #2: I've gotten rid of the excerpt function on my blog posts (ie. "continue reading" links) but I'd like to be able to i) disable the title link (which goes to the post's individual page); and ii) bring the social media sharing icons that are at the foot of the post's individual page over to the main post, so that there's a set beneath every post on the home page. I've scoured the forums and I know that this is possible, I just don't know how. Any help you can offer would be hugely appreciated as we're hoping to go live with the site tomorrow (technically it's live now, but we'll be linking it to our main site). The site in question is http://heymammoth.com Thank you! Ben

cmunns

Well the best way to get the sharing icons in the sidebar is to use a text widget and copy this code into it: (note**** you will need the PHP-Exec plugin in order for this to work in your sidebar unless you take out the PHP in the code below and use only HTML. `

<?php if(pagelines('rsslink')):?> <?php endif;?> <?php if(VPRO):?> <?php pagelines_register_hook( 'pagelines_branding_icons_start', 'branding' );?> <?php if(pagelines_option('twitterlink')):?> <?php endif;?> <?php if(pagelines_option('facebooklink')):?> <?php endif;?> <?php if(pagelines_option('linkedinlink')):?> <?php endif;?> <?php if(pagelines_option('youtubelink')):?> <?php endif;?> <?php pagelines_register_hook( 'pagelines_branding_icons_end', 'branding' );?> <?php endif;?>
` The second problem is a matter of making edits to your template.postloop.php file which can be edited freely if you copy that file from PlatformPro into the root of the PlatformBase theme folder. Then we can go from there.

mammoth

Thanks Adam. I'll give your answer for problem #1 a shot and will get back to you on #2. I've had a conversation with my partner since writing that post this morning and I think we may decide to leave the post links as-is, anyway, but I now know where to begin if we do decide to get rid of them. Thanks for your timely response. I appreciate it.

bryan-hadaway

For clarification: 1. These are not sharing/bookmarking icons, this is for you to share links to your social profile. 2. These are indeed sharing/bookmarking links. However, for the control you're looking for the easiest solution is to use this very good and very popular plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/addthis/ Thanks, Bryan