Sign in to follow this  
taikahn

Adding Blog Posts to Front Page

taikahn

I am using platform pro - I have index that is using the featured page layout with slider -- plus boxes and callouts, twitter, etc. All on the front/index page... How can I add blog posts to the front/index page? *I am using and sticking with blog view in the options (magazine view does not work for our content type)* Any help would be appreciated. Site is at diabolicalskateboards.com

Sourena

1. Make sure "Content Area" in included in your "Feature Page" layout (Under PlatformPro Options). 2,. Make sure the "Content Area" is not hidden in your page's options (Under "Pagelines Section Control"). sO262.png ZXItC.png

alefba.us

Web Development & Design for Right-to-Left languages

kastelic

Wordpress by default only sends the blog posts to one page. You can set where under Settings -> Reading. You can also make put a category page in your custom menu to show posts on another page. If you want to display all your posts on a second page you either have to use a plugin or edit your core files. Check here to get started on how to do that: http://codex.wordpress.org/The_Loop

taikahn

First response doesnt work, blog posts do not appear. Second response, I see pages all the time with an excerpt of the blog on their front page, this should be fairly straightforward.... in fact, the default 4 columns in the footer does it with one post.... I just want to be able to do that in the content area above -- maybe 2-4 posts and a link to see the rest...

taikahn

^what does that mean? no... I mean, the page is live, nothing has been touched. Not sure what your getting at...

cdhphoenix

I too have the same problem, I am hoping this can be resolved as other themes offer this. I think both what Tai along with others are looking for on this forum, is have featured content on the homepage followed by latest posts, and have the rest of the pages (previous pages and archives) displayed like a blog without all the featured sliders/boxes. And if we want to create page templates with custom content on it, like a gallery and profiles and features, we have the capacity to do that separately.

bryan-hadaway

Aside from category pages, hard coded customization and the many post plugins available, there is not a setting for this. Thanks, Bryan

taikahn

Weak. Wouldn't have bought it if I knew I couldn't put blog posts on front page -- absolutely ridiculous.

peterluit

@taikahn: I understand your thoughts. I don't even know if all the above is right, I cannot imagine that a blog on the front page would not be possible.... But anyhow, I started using this theme to use WordPress more as a web-CMS, to do 'all' and not just only a blog. I changed form Atahualpa theme tot PFPro, look at www.luit.nl. The frontpage tells the visitors what I do, how I make money for them. The 'Nieuws' page is the blogpage (second page). That page used to be my landing page in the Atahualpa theme. So, think of the purpose of what you want to achieve with your site. Placing the blog page away from your landing page does not harm, as long as you use good SEO.... So, you did not buy the wrong product, think again about the achievements you gain....

cmunns

Tai you can definitely get blog posts on the front page but you're probably just going about it wrong. Tell me what your exact requirements are for the front page? My suggestion...activate the feature slider as part of the header template area. Then hide it by default and click show on posts pages On the home page (which you should set as the default so that blog posts automatically appear there) you should have posts now as well as a feature slider. You can do similar things with other template areas, but if you want the slider hidden from category and archive pages that would require tapping into code, but we are improving the meta option handling on those pages in the future.

peterluit

By the way, in general, posts on the frontpage wil be set by Settings/Reading in Wordpress and has in general nothing to do with the theme setting.

taikahn

No peter that is not what we are talking about at all. I am quite aware of how that works. We are trying to have the blog reading page secondary as it is now BUT still have the ability to have some "featured" blog posts on the home page. Pretty simple really. Unfortunately with community support like this we go on weeks without a way to do it. And cmunss basically the same thing, your not understanding I dont want full blow blog on front page -- just looking for a way to get some posts to the home page. Putting the feature slider in the header doesnt begin to accomplish that.

kgstew

Hi Tai, Your request is outside the scope of what Platform as a development framework is designed to do. You need something that is going to modify the way the Wordpress displays the content on your site. By default, pages and posts are two different systems that are not meant to cross. However, there are plug-ins available which will allow you to insert pieces of your blog roll into a static page. Check out a plug-in like http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/list-category-posts/ which will allow you to display different post categories on individual pages using short code. Alternatively if you are interested in having a page display a full blog category you can modify the way the menus displays pages and have them instead display post categories. See the following for a description http://moshublog.com/2007/07/26/pages-and-categories/ Cheers, -Kyle

taikahn

Pagelines is doing exactly what i want to do on their demo -- but its in the very bottom footer -- seems that tag could be used elsewhere.

cmunns

Here is the code used for the default footer: `

• <?php foreach(get_posts('numberposts=1&offset=0') as $key => $post): setup_postdata($post);?>
  • <?php echo $post->post_title; ?>
    <?php echo custom_trim_excerpt(get_the_excerpt(), 12); ?>
    <?php endforeach;?>
`