Sign in to follow this  
makeylon

Carousel Content Display under carousel

makeylon

This is going to be a fun one... Okay, I have a carousel page set up to display posts in a category in the carousel. When I click on the thumbnail, it takes me to the single post page of that thumbnail. Here is what I would like it to do (or some facsimile of it: Ideally, when I click on a thumbnail, I would like it to display the content below the carousel. Then, if I click another thumbnail, I'd like the content to switch to the newly clicked post. but I want to keep the carousel in view as I click the different thumbnails. Also, I'd like the url to be able to show the actual single post url. How would I go about doing this? (is there a way to put the same carousel on single post pages?)

Guest Guest

Mark, Just use template setup and drag a carousel where you would like onto the single post page. Now, if you want the carousel to stay in view that's something that's going to require some kind of ajax customization, whereas this solution will load a new page every time, but you can have the same carousel on those post pages. Let me know if this solution works for you.

makeylon

Nope, not really, because then the carousel will appear on every single post page, and I only want it on the pages associated with the specific category. What I'm trying to avoid, is to click on a thumb, then it goes to a post, then having to either back up or go back to the page again, to click on a new thumbnail. I hope what I'm asking makes sense, but I have a very ugly feeling it isn't possible with Platform Pro.

catrina

It makes sense, but I'm getting a similar ugly feeling. However, perhaps there is some advanced customization that can make it happen...

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

cshoffmann

I understand what you are asking for. . .However, you can add the carousel to a single post page template like suggested and then on other posts just tell them to hide carousel on each one.

makeylon

Considering I'd rather not have to remember to hide them on all (potentially thousands) of posts just to have a half dozen posts use a carousel, I think I'll pass on that option. I did think of that, but it is just too restricting. Unless, of course, there is a way to create a new post page template, which currently doesn't work for me.

bryan-hadaway

Let's see if we can get a developer on the case. Thanks, Bryan

cmunns

In this case it's easiest to hardcode the conditionals. Place the carousel on the single post pages and do something like this: ` <?php else: if(is_category('category1') || (in_category('category1'))): $carousel_post_query = 'numberposts='.$carouselitems.'&category_name=category1'; elseif(is_category('category2') || (in_category('category2'))): $carousel_post_query = 'numberposts='.$carouselitems.'&category_name=category2'; endif; $recentposts = get_posts($carousel_post_query); ` right now you're code is probably something like this: ` else: $carousel_post_query = 'numberposts='.$carouselitems; if($carousel_post_id) $carousel_post_query .= '&category_name='.$carousel_post_id; $recentposts = get_posts($carousel_post_query); ` Also, you may have to add similar conditionals on top to remove the carousel from single category pages that you don't want it to show on...

makeylon

Thanks! I'll give this a try. Quick question... in what file is this code located?

makeylon

Okay, getting back to this one... I'm trying to create a new custom section that basically duplicates the carousel section. The reason I'm trying to do this is so that I could, theoretically, have different carousels in different pages using different categories. First, trying to duplicate the carousel section didn't work out so well, as it seems to be missing the css and javascript capabilities, even though I copied the entire carousel folder and dropped it into Base-->Sections folder. Example: Japanese Candlestick Technical Analysis Here is what I am trying to do: Step 1: Get the new carousel section to work properly. Step 2: Get the new carousel section to only display posts in the specific category. Step 3: Get the new carousel section to only display the posts in the content area, so the sidebar runs next to it, right underneath the nav section. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong with Step 1? (If I use the standard Pagelines Carousel section, it works fine.

bryan-hadaway

What version of PlatformPro are you now on? Sounds very custom, have you considering hiring a pro? I'll go ahead and buzz a developer and see if this is an easy addition. Thanks, Bryan

makeylon

I think 2 and 3 I should be able to take care of pretty easily (maybe), but the primary thing is getting a custom section to work properly. I tried following the directions but as you can see, it is not working as it should. Currently using version 1.3.0.2. As I understand it, this version includes the capability to more easily create additional templates and sections, and I'm primarily trying to get this new section to work as the original does.

bryan-hadaway

Okay, I've set this topic for advanced review so your next reply should be directly from a developer. Thanks, Bryan

makeylon

Okay, I managed to solve step 2, which is to get the carousel to display only the category items, within pages set in that category. On the main category page, Japanese Candlesticks, I am using the standard carousel page template, with the carousel items defined by the meta info on the page editor. It is using the original carousel section, but the left/right arrows appear to be missing (though they still move the items when clicked). Also, is there any way to display the post title below the images without having to mouse over? On the post pages, such as What Are Japanese Candlesticks?, I am using my duplicated section added to the post pages template, but it is quite broken. It looks as if the css and script functions aren't working, even though I tried to create the new section according to instructions as described above. I'm also still working on getting the carousel to fit within the post content area as well. So, current questions: 1) What happened to the scroll arrows on the main category page? 2) How do I get the custom carousel section to work properly on the post pages?

cmunns

for the non:hover descriptions use CSS `#carousel .content ul li a span.list-title {display:block;}` You can link the JS and CSS back to the original files. In the modified section add this sort of thing: ` wp_register_style('carousel', get_bloginfo('template_url'). '/sections/carousel/carousel.css', array(), CORE_VERSION, 'screen'); ` instead of the default: ` wp_register_style('carousel', $this->base_url . '/carousel.css', array(), CORE_VERSION, 'screen'); ` same path would go for the js call farther down where it says "dependency"

makeylon

Thanks Adam. I'll give that a try. But I'm curious why it wouldn't be able to use the duplicated files? I kept the exact same file and folder structure...