Sign in to follow this  
jb1492

Change Global Content Width to a specific number value.

jb1492

When I use the Layout Editor, I see that I can drag the sides and the Global Content Width changes accordingly. But, I can't fine-tune the width to a specific number value by dragging. When I try to use the Global Content Width field (below the drag-layout area) to change the number to what I want - the field is not receptive to the change. So, how is it possible to change the Global Content Width to a specific number value?

kastelic

You could probably override it with CSS likem so:

.fixed_width #page, .fixed_width #footer, .canvas #page-canvas {
	width: 1190px;
	}

But honestly, the controls allow you to come within 2px of any width, is that not close enough? Just curious as to why you need it more precise :)

jb1492

@Jimmy - I have a banner that I'd like to mesh exactly with the background image. So I'd like to size the site width to accomplish that. I suppose I could change the banner width to match the site width - but there should be a way to specify an exact site pixel width. @Tyler - PlatformPro

bryan-hadaway

I'm getting a server error trying to view your site. Also, did Jimmy's solution not work for you? Can you not simply adjust 1190 to what you want? Also, for future reference... always share the link when posting new issues to get quicker help. We're not going to remember your link from another topic and we're not going to hunt it down. Thanks, Bryan

jb1492

@Brian - Server error must have been temporary. I've been working on the blog set-up and there have been some time-out issues. Nope Jimmy's solution didn't size the site appropriately. Instead of 1190 I used 851, the width of the header image - but there's still spacing on both sides. Here is the current Custom CSS codes: /*removes header padding*/ #branding .content-pad{padding-left:0px !important;} /*centers header image*/ #branding .mainlogo-img{display:block;margin:0 auto;} /*removes padding above header image*/ #header #branding .content-pad {padding: 0px;} /*removes margin space above page canvas*/ body #page {margin-top: 0px;} .fixed_width #page {margin: 0px auto 0;} body {padding-top:0px;} body #page {margin-top: 0px;} .fixed_width #page, .fixed_width #footer, .canvas #page-canvas {width: 851px;}

jb1492

The two issues outstanding are: 1. Getting the width of the site correct so the header image "connects" with the background image. 2. Getting the site to have zero spacing at the top so the header image butts-up to the top of the browser window. Unfortunately, nothing so far has worked. I wouldn't think these items would be so difficult to accomplish. I'm becoming a bit dismayed with Pagelines as a result.

jb1492

Hey Bryan, Thanks. But with all the difficulties with trying to work with PageLines to try and accomplish "simple" tasks like removing the spacing at the top of the site and being able to define the exact width of the site - which have taken 4 days worth of forum entries with no success - I loaded up Headway and both issues were easy to configure/resolve in a matter of a few minutes with their visual editor. PageLines is great if you don't want to do a lot of customization - or, I guess, if you're a CSS expert. Headway has many more customization options, without having to delve into the quagmire of CSS. Thanks for you help anyway. I will be developing some other PageLines websites, but for this one Headway is the answer. j.