Sign in to follow this  
voiid

Platform Pro / WP User Roles Issue

voiid

I'm planning to add some Autor and Contributor Accounts to my WP Blog. The problem I have is that those WP-User-Role-Groups have access to BANNERS,BOXES,FEATURES + (re-Order Plugin, which I needed) Is there a good way to disable these things so that Autors & Contributors are not able in any way to modify those things? Thanks

voiid

I think that was a misunderstanding. I checked the members plugin. I want to give an author access to the dashboard as contributor or author. WP reduces the admin panel down to a minimum. But... the platform pro left pane sidebar still shows the menu sections Features,Boxes,Banners inclusive all subpoints like Add New Feature, Show all Features etc. I want totally hide those panel menus. I think it is an overseen security issue of platform pro, that those menus are not hidden from contributors and authors, as those user roles are the most minimal.

Kate

Hi Norman, You're right, I apologize. I did understand what you meant, and was thinking that plugin could help. But, I guess I was wrong. I know I've done this in the past with functions.php. Have you considered that? This may get you on the right track: http://www.strangework.com/2010/03/24/how-to-hide-an-admin-menu-in-wordpress/ Also I'd check the WP plugin repository: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/

voiid

Hello Kate, thanks for your help. I will give your adivse a try. Nevertheless it would be great if Platform Pro would support this permission functionality to HIDE these three points for limited WP user roles like contributors and autors in future.

videola

I'd also like to see some way to restrict dashboard access to Features/Banners/Boxes. You can use plugins to work around most of this: Admin Menu Editor to change the role required so it doesnt display in the dashboard. Admin Bar Removal, so these options arent available to all users. But these options are still displayed when the user creates a new post, so I guess you have to hide these things with CSS as well: PageLines Meta Settings PageLines Section Control I'm new to PPro, so forgive me if there is an easier way to give content creators ONLY the wordpress default GUI tools.

yenom3342

Hi Kate, I followed your advise and went to the link http://www.strangework.com/2010/03/24/how-to-hide-an-admin-menu-in-wordpress/ Pasted in the suggested code and received an error message. So i deleted the code that i pasted in and have the same error message: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/optpet/public_html/wp-content/themes/platformpro-2/functions.php on line 14 So ..... am i Toast? I can't access my main page, website... what now.

parsonsbowne
Just thought I'd close this thread on a better note. I had exactly the same issue and I was able to solve it using the strangework.com code referenced above. This is what my function looked like. // This hook hides the pagelines banners boxes and features from sub-admin level users add_action('admin_head', 'hide_menus'); // function name function hide_menus() { global $current_user; get_currentuserinfo(); If($current_user->user_login != 'admin') { ?>

alainafrederick
Where do I place this code? // This hook hides the pagelines banners boxes and features from sub-admin level users add_action('admin_head', 'hide_menus'); // function name function hide_menus() { global $current_user; get_currentuserinfo(); If($current_user->user_login != 'admin') { ?>

trying to figure out all the capabilities of pagelines