Sign in to follow this  
taxguycpa

Two Blogs in One

taxguycpa

Hello, I was wondering with my site www.cafetax.com how to create an additional blog section on a separately created page on my site. In essence, I have the magazine format on the homepage for blogs, could I create a new page in wordpress and make that another homepage style blog for a completely different theme? Would I have to do this through categories and just create a link to a category which shows all the posts in that category? My idea is to take my tax blog and create a joke, entertainment section. I want it to take on its own life without actually being a different site. Any ideas are appreciated. You guys / ladies are always very helpful to me. -Joe

eldrmozz

I was lookin for the same thing as you. what i did for much simplicity (i don't know if it's "moral" or "intelligent" but i never find the real solution to have "two blogs" in one) I've created a subdomain : in your case, it could be www.subdomain.cafetax.com after i have played with plugins like "pagelinks to" to give the illusion that navigation is in the same blog. but i'm conscious that it's like create two blogs : twice the job. a bit dummy but i was tired to imagine solution complicated who were't functionning. sorry for the english, i'm french

catrina

Would I have to do this through categories and just create a link to a category which shows all the posts in that category? That's possible as long as the posts in that "separate blog" don't have to be in their own categories (since you're already using categories as a way of separating the posts between 2 "blogs").

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

cmunns

Joe I think your initial thought is in the right direction. Of course you would have to exclude that category from the main blog, but that is pretty easy to do.

maxquinn

Surely that would work perfectly, as the new category you create can still have sub categories? On my site, Broken-Culture.co.uk, for example there's an 'Events' page which features blog posts that don't display anywhere else. The only problem is, they do display in sections such as 'The Latest' in the footer at the bottom.

taxguycpa

Thanks for the responses. I will start messing around with it and see what I can come up with. Ill be back! :)

taxguycpa

What if I just created a new page. I could then manipulate the sidebars for that page and so forth. Couple questions however: Could I change the layout from magazine to blog style for one page? Also, could I aim blog posts directly into one page and not on the main page. -Joe

catrina

You can do that (create new pages and manipulate the sidebars). To change the layout for pages, you can customize the settings in the page editor (as well as the Default Page template in Template Setup - located in your settings). To ensure that no posts show on the main page, you can turn the main page into a static page of your choice (in the Reading section of your Dashboard). You can also change the navigation menu to a custom menu with links to the pages you want so that visitors are directed to the proper posts.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

taxguycpa

I am striking out on this. I am afraid I am to ignorant when it comes to web design.. :( I can't figure out how that static page thing works. How would I write one blog for the one section of my blog, and another blog for the other section, and have them only show up under that specific one "being the main page or the newly created page"..