Sign in to follow this  
somagoods

adding child page is changing nav bar button colors

somagoods

Hello, Please take a look at my site, http://somagoods.com/ The buttons that are now gray were once a dark blue ... until I added a child page (under "about") I have searched the discussions for the answer and haven't quite found it...It looks like the answer most often given is to activate Platform Base. I hesitate to do this because I'm worried it will mess up the site somehow ... and it doesn't seem necessary. I have been able to add the child page just fine. The only thing I need to now is tweak is the color of the nav bar buttons. Can I do this without activating Platform Base? Thanks as always for your helpful suggestions!

Kate

Hi Jennifer- First, to address your question: The classes change a little on the li elements when the subnav is added. As a result, you would have to use the "current_page_parent" or "current_page_ancestor" class to target that link. So, it would be:

.current_page_ancestor a{color:#003C83 !important;}

Regarding Base: it won't hurt anything at all. In fact, it allows you to make customizations without altering the core framework files. ;)

somagoods

Thank you, Kate. I activated Base so now I am able to access the base.css file. My code is not right though. Can you please take a look and see if I incorporated your code correctly? Thanks! .current_page_ancestor a{color:#003C83 !important;} #nav_row ul li a{ font-size:16px; font-family: "Gill Sans MT", "Trebuchet MS", century gothic, arial, sans-serif} #primary-nav ul li {background:#ffffff} #nav_row ul li a:hover {color:#226d8d; background-color:#ffffff} #nav_row ul li.current_page_item a { color:#226d8d; background-color:#ffffff; } #primary-nav #nav_row { border-bottom:none; }

kastelic

Hi Jennifer, try this code:

#primary-nav ul.sf-menu a, .sf-menu a:visited {color:#003C83}

somagoods

No luck. I've tried so many variations of the codes you guys have given me, but the buttons are still gray.

Kate

Hey Jennifer - I had actually tried it myself, and it worked. Just took a look and I see it's highlighted. I guess you're good to go now, correct?

somagoods

Hi Kate, Thanks for taking a look and trying it yourself. The way it looks now, though, is the same as when I first posted. What I am trying to do is change the nav bar links from gray to dark blue (#003c83) - that is the way we had it before adding subnav. The blue color you see on current and hover is a lighter blue (#226d8d), and those are fine as is. The only change that needs to happen is for the gray to turn to #003c83. I tried inserting the code you provided a few different ways, and I could not get it to work so I took it out. My current code is as follows. Could you please show me where to insert your code? #nav_row ul li a{ color:#003c83; font-size:16px; font-family: "Gill Sans MT", "Trebuchet MS", century gothic, arial, sans-serif} #primary-nav ul li {color:#003c83; background:#ffffff} #nav_row ul li a:hover {color:#226d8d; background-color:#ffffff} #nav_row ul li.current_page_item a { color:#226d8d; background-color:#ffffff; } #primary-nav #nav_row { border-bottom:none; } Also, this code is in base.css. I have removed it from Platform > Settings > Custom Code. Thanks for your help!

Kate

Oh I see... I misunderstood what you were trying to do. I apologize. Try this:

#primary-nav ul.sf-menu a {color:#003c83 !important;}
Also, change this line (that you currently have):
#primary-nav .main-nav li a:hover { background:transparent;}
to:
#primary-nav .main-nav li a:hover { background: transparent;color:#226d8d !important;}

Hopefully that's what you're looking for... If not, let us know and we can help you from there...