Sign in to follow this  
bellecat

Creating nav

bellecat

I've been here before - complete beginner at this - I'm trying to create pages and navigation in PlatformPro for my website - all I've seemed to be able to create is 'About'. I'm confused and frustrated by the amount of time I've spent trying to do something that should be simple. Can you help please?

bevj

When creating a new page idDnx.jpg remember to publish it (you don't want this QFCoB.jpg) and that the published page has public viability UL2BD.jpg. Both http://wordpress.org/ and platform documentation http://www.pagelines.com/docs/ are great resources for learning. for specific information on creating a custom navigation bar go here, http://www.pagelines.com/docs/menus-navigation, it is a great tutorial/walk through. hopefully this helps

bellecat

OK, thanks for that. Can you also tell me how I link all the created pages to the website? The 'About' page shows on the site, but not the newly created 'Home'. I'm betting that this is all pretty simple, but I'm having a lot of trouble.

bevj

The tutorial in the menus-navigation documentation is way better than anything I could put here. Essentially, you want to create a custom navigation (extremely easy) using the pages you've created as targets

catrina

The About page is there by default in many WordPress themes. Are you trying to figure out how to create pages so that they show up in the navigation menu?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

bellecat

Yes, yes, yes, Catrina. I've created four pages, but none of them seem to show. Can you help please?

bellecat

I guess I'm also having trouble with separating which areas design a blog and which areas are for web design. I don't want a blog, just a website. The Admin area seems to contain settings and options for both.

Guest Guest

Click on "Appearance" in the left hand menu and go to "Menus". From there, enter a menu name (such as menu or nav) and press create menu. Then you can add existing pages to your menu, or make custom links. To add all of the pages you've created, check off the ones you want in the pages section in the options on the left and press add to menu. Save your menu, and then in the "Theme Locations" options at the very top right of the page, select the menu you made in the "Primary Website Navigation" dropdown and press save. Now this menu is your new custom navigation. If you need a more detailed explanation (such as screenshots), let me know.

bellecat

Hi Tyler - I was good until the: "Theme Locations" options at the very top right of the page, select the menu you made in the "Primary Website Navigation" dropdown and press save. I do not see in PlatformPro a Theme Locations option on the top right of the page. I've got "New Post", Log Out, Screen Options and Help on the top right. Maybe a screen shot would be helpful. Thank you so much for your help here.

bellecat

Forget it! I found the Theme Locations option - it's on the left instead of the right. So now I've got three pages that I created, but there's still the default 'About' nav - can you tell me how to get rid of it please?

bryan-hadaway

Simply go to your Pages tab from the left menu inside your WordPress admin, you'll then see a list pages including the About page so you can delete it. By the way, I understand your frustration... so you know though the current learning curve you're experiencing is specific to WordPress basics and has nothing to do with the theme itself. @Bev - Brownie point for such an in depth answer. Thanks, Bryan

bellecat

10 Karma Points for you Bryan - thank you very much. I purchased PlatformPro (after using CMS systems for years) because I thought that it would be very easy to use - I'm finding that it's not as intuitive as I first thought. However, everyone's help as been great and I'm very appreciative. I'm sure that you haven't heard the last of me yet. Kind regards, Gail.