Sign in to follow this  
mweger

Search form not above nav bar not only shows on post pages

mweger

Trying to locate search form in header above the social media icons. Here is what is in my Custom CSS: body{} .searchform { position:absolute; right:0; top:15px;} Problem is that is works fine on some pages, such as post pages, but it is missing completely from full width feature and other full width pages. Thanks, Mark

mweger
http://talkchoc.com Notice that the home page and the "About Karyn" page omit the search bar entirely. They are both full width pages. The others show it just fine. I achieved the placement shown right now with an edit to the theme.css file, and no longer have it in the custom css area. Thanks for taking a look for me...

kastelic

What's happening is that you are moving the search box from the footer to the top of the page and your fullwidth pages do not contain the footer, hence no search box to reposition. I would enable the header search box (in header and nav) and try to reposition that one. You would have to be more specific so you are moving the correct one. For example:

body #nav .searchform {
	position:absolute;
	right:0;
	top:-50px;
	}

mweger

Thanks! Works perfectly and easy. I appreciate the help. Mark

mweger

One more issue I just ran into on this. The reason I wanted to move the search form to above the nav bar was to make more room for menu items. However, moving the search form up doesn't allow that... only hiding the search form does. Is there a custom css code to override that and allow the use of the entire width of the nav bar?

cmunns

Well if you moved the searchbar from the footer then you can check the option under header and nav settings to hide the searchbar (which is referring to the one that usually is in the nav area) which will clear up more space

mweger

Firebug is a miracle tool... solved it with a custom css entry: #nav ul#menu-main-nav, #nav ul.mnav, #nav ul#menu-main { float: left; width: 888px; } Now I can move the Nav Search Bar up above the nav bar, and extend the area for "tabs" all the way across the nav bar.