Sign in to follow this  
Claude203

How to change link font colors in Recent Comments widget?

Claude203

Hi Catrina, Thank you. On second thought I would rather highlight the comment, so that visitors are more inclined to stay on the site. Could you please let me know the Custom CSS for that? Also, is the code you shared above going to change all of my link colors, or just the ones inside the Recent Comments widget? Thank you!

Claude Johnson
BlackFives.org

catrina

How would you like the comment to be highlighted? (Using a different background color? A different font color?) The code I shared above will only change the ones inside the Recent Comments widget.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

Claude203

Hi Catrina, Thank you for your clarification about the Recent Comments "snippet specificity." :-) I would like to be able to change only the comment font color inside the Recent Comments widget. Thank you! Claude

Claude Johnson
BlackFives.org

catrina

In your Recent Comments widget, does the comment snippet actually show? (By default, the widget only the displays the comment author and the post link in which the comment was made)

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Claude203

Yes, I meant that I want to change the color of the link that go to the comments, from inside the Recent Comment widget.

Claude Johnson
BlackFives.org

cmunns

Hey Claude have you tried using a browser inspector to look for the CSS selector? I use the one for Chrome that's built in, it works really well.

Claude203

Adam that's a great idea but I tried that using Firebug, but I'm not an expert at it, and I couldn't seem to isolate that particular CSS definition. If you could just tell me where it is defined (i.e., what class name) then I could find it in the CSS file and edit it. Thanks! PS - Do you prefer Chrome over FF and others?

Claude Johnson
BlackFives.org

kastelic

Just look for the element that contains what you want to change, and make a rule for it. If its a div with a class then do: #div.class {color:#000} Check here for more info: http://www.w3schools.com/css/ Chrome's inspector is great, Firebug is a little more powerful. You should try both to see which one you like.

Claude203

Jimmy, thanks but so far I can only figure out how to change ALL the link colors in ALL widgets, using Firebug. Can someone please just let me know how to change the comment link color in the Recent Comments widget? Thank you.

Claude Johnson
BlackFives.org

Claude203

ul.recentcomments a {font-color: #COLORHERE;}

This does not appear to work, after substituting a color code.

Claude Johnson
BlackFives.org

cmunns

exactly what recent comments area are you talking about? Can you post a screenshot of the area?

Claude203

I'm talking about the Recent Comments widget. Screen shot attached. Q7xFR.png Thanks.

Claude Johnson
BlackFives.org

cmunns

This is the css you should be using. ` .widget #recentcomments ul li a { color: #xxx; } `

Claude203

Hi Adam, thanks. That still doesn't work. I tried it in the Custom Code section as well as in the CSS file. Weird. Well, in any case, maybe this can become a suggestion to be added as an optional feature in the future.

Claude Johnson
BlackFives.org

bryan-hadaway

No, what we really need is a link to your site so we can hands on solve this one, it's dragged on much to long for a customization as simple as this. Thanks, Bryan

cmunns

Claude I know that code I gave should work, but I don't see it reflected maybe the issue is where you are adding the css. Try perhaps adding it directly to the bottom of the style.css file just as a test.

Claude203

It's been at the bottom of the style.css file. I also tried it in the Custom Code area. Neither one worked. I know this is odd.

Claude Johnson
BlackFives.org

cmunns

Alright well what if you tested with this: ` #morefoot .widget ul li a { color: orange; } ` (will change all morefoot links if it works, but just trying to troubleshoot)

Claude203

That worked for all links, when I inserted the CSS into Custom Code. 1zt5V.png Now if we could isolate it to affect only the comments link ...

Claude Johnson
BlackFives.org

Claude203

No that didn't work. But I know we're getting closer. Is anyone getting this to work on their own WHP site?

Claude Johnson
BlackFives.org

catrina

I'm not sure if anyone has tried doing this before. The last resort is to go into the parent file, give the comment link its own class, and assign the CSS style to it.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Claude203

Thank you for the suggestion, however I'm not a programmer, so I will not attempt that. Oh, well. Instead, I'd like to make a suggestion that this be added as an option in the future.

Claude Johnson
BlackFives.org