Sign in to follow this  
andreashansen

Blogs on front page?

andreashansen

Hi, I bought the fantastic iBlogPro-theme. It's really easy to set up, but I do have one question though: Is there any way to make the latest - or just any - blogpost appear on the front page, like below the three feature boxes? I know I can set the blog as front page, but I really need the big box and the three feature boxes on the front. So...how do I combine these? Another option could be to make one of the feature boxes feature the latest blog post - that would also be awesome. I am really not the best to coding-stuff, so be gentle :)

Andrew

Its possible but it is a feature that might have to wait for the next release. new features allow you to do at least some of what you are talking about...

andreashansen

Like which new features? And when is next release up? Best regards, Andreas

jnoh

Hey andreashansen, how many posts did you want to add underneath the feature boxes? we'll have to edit the "page-feature.php" page, but this is definitely doable and shouldn't be too much work. :)

andreashansen

That sounds great. Actually I just need a single post below the feature boxes. And - if possible - link to the blog or other posts.

jnoh

Replace the page-feature.php with this code:

<?php
	if(VPRO) {
	/*
		Template Name: Feature Page - Default
	*/
		get_header();
		require(PRO.'/template_feature.php');
		require(PRO.'/template_fboxes.php');
		    query_posts('showposts=1'); ?>
			<div id="content">
			 	<?php require(LIB.'/_posts.php');?>
			</div> <!-- end content -->
			<div class="clear"></div>
	<?php 	get_footer();
	}
	?>

That should do it for you! Let me know how it goes.

andreashansen

It works. Thank you a lot. You have been really helpful! Three quick questions: 1) is there any way to kinda mark it is a blog post? It looks a little like a big text field, and even if it somehow gives it self away, it's still a little unclear, I think. 2) I love the share thing you got (link to the post by Twitter, StumpleUpon etc.) but this feature is not transfered to the blog post on the front page. Is this possible? 3) It does look great, but the single blogpost is also a little (too) wide to read. Could you have like categories and tag cloud on the right side to make it appear more slim and easy to read? Thanks again, you've been a great help!

jnoh
1) is there any way to kinda mark it is a blog post? It looks a little like a big text field, and even if it somehow gives it self away, it's still a little unclear, I think.
Hm. It does have the post footer correct? how about if we just added the sidebar to the right. You'll have to reserve one of the sidebars specifically for this page.
2) I love the share thing you got (link to the post by Twitter, StumpleUpon etc.) but this feature is not transfered to the blog post on the front page. Is this possible?
You can set this under Options > Pages and Posts > Post Footer Link On Posts Page
3) It does look great, but the single blogpost is also a little (too) wide to read. Could you have like categories and tag cloud on the right side to make it appear more slim and easy to read?
Replace the above code with this:
<?php
	if(VPRO) {
	/*
		Template Name: Feature Page - Default
	*/
		get_header();
		require(PRO.'/template_feature.php');
		require(PRO.'/template_fboxes.php');?>
		<?php query_posts('showposts=3'); ?>
			<div id="left-col">
				<div id="content">
				 <?php require(LIB.'/_posts.php');?>
				</div> <!-- end content -->
			</div> <!-- end left col -->
			<?php get_sidebar(); ?>
	<?php get_footer();
	}
	?>

andreashansen

Super. Thanks a lot. I only got a few minor problems: 1) Twitter now appears twice on my front page (below feature boxes and to the right in the blog section). Can't cancel just one from the control panel. Not even if I make a special drag-and-drop-sidebar. 2) Still no link to share post through social media on the frotn page, even if these are perfectly visiable in the blog section. Best regards Andreas (PS - if in doubt, please check: http://kommunikation.nu)

jnoh

1) You can get rid of the twitter in the sidebar in the sidebar.php file. This line: <?php include (LIB . '/_twittermessages.php'); ?> 2) You can set this in 'Page and Posts' --> "Select Post Footer Link Location"

andreashansen

Awesome. Now it works. You have been very, very helpful, jnoh. I just have one final issue - then I'd say the theme is perfect. Is there a way to shut off the extra menu bar that appears under the regular menubar every time you enters a subpage? For instance - if you click on "PR" on http://kommunikation.nu in the menu bar, you get to a page where it says: "succespakke" on top of the actual text. It looks kinda weird. But once again: THANK YOU. I recommend your great themes AND service to whoever I can!

jnoh

No problem :). Glad I could help. At the bottom of the header.php file, add these slash marks: <?php // require(LIB.'/_subnav.php');?>

andreashansen

Awesome. Worked like a charm. Now I just got a new problem (neverending story, I know - but this is kinda important). Along the way - I suddently lost the ability for people to comment and see comments on the blog posts. It's only possible to click on the last comments in the "latest comments" box in the sidebar. And even clicking on that doesn't give you any option to comment. I haven't added a line of code myself. So how did I loose that one? Sorry to cause so much trouble :(

Andrew

can you provide a screenshot or live link? It could be a plugin or similar...

jnoh

Hey andreas, The comment/reply footer was replaced with the social media share post-footer when we did this earlier:

2) Still no link to share post through social media on the frotn page, even if these are perfectly visiable in the blog section.
People can comment if they click and go to the post page. You should switch it back to the comment post-footer if you'd like that to appear. :D

utgjames

I did a similar action on my Station pro blog - underthegunreview.net, but it places the sidebar below my posts and not on the side of them! Can you help?

skye

I am also new but trying to do what 'andreashansen' is doing: That is wanting to get the latest blog post to automatically show in one of my feature boxes on the bottom. I tried to do what was recommended above but I am still new enough that it didn't work.

jnoh

@utgjames I'm not seeing your sidebar at all? did you hide it? @skye what are you seeing once you made the changes.

skye

@jnoh, I'm not seeing any changes - so is that my solution to put the latest posts in a feature box? If it is, I might need a little more direction. The directions above say to replace the page-feature.php with that code. So, do I create a text file that has that code and then replace that page within the WHP theme folder? Sorry, newbie here. If that is correct, what am I to see?

jnoh

Hey skye, What you see in this post is a way to add blog posts under all the feature panels and feature boxes. From what you're saying you'd want to draw posts out into the feature boxes. You'll want to start a new thread for this. I'll have to tell you though that this will require a bit of work that might be difficult. If you're up for the challenge, I'll try my best to help you out. :)

Guest Guest

If I'm reading this right... This will allow you to have the features option working on the home page and still allow to normally post blog postings under it? I'm trying to figure out how to do this... My home page is like every other iBlog setup. You post a blog post, its on the main page. Now I would like to use the features option BUT NOT have to create a new page. I would like the feature option to work on the same home/main page as my blog posts. Is this possible? Thanks

jnoh

yes the instructions provided in this thread will allow you to have blog posts appear below the feature boxes. The code provided in this only works for iBlogPro.