Sign in to follow this  
Jenny

Category menu items don't show posts

Jenny

I have menu items that are categories. Before switching to PlatformPro, all of the posts within that category displayed on the page. But now when I click a category menu item (example: Recipes), it just redisplays the home page. Any help is greatly appreciated! The Healthifed Mom

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Kate

Did you happen to change the pages (the default page, perhaps?) in "Settings->Template Setup"? Because, notice how the URL is correct, and not re-directing you to the home page... it's just showing the same content as the home page.

Jenny

It seems like the "default page" doesn't do anything, and it looks like the "posts page" is the default (i.e. home) page. So I made the "default page" and the "posts page" have exactly the same elements, but it's not the desired effect I want. 1. I want the "home" page to display the callout (only because I can't find a better way to do it), the carousel, the 3 boxes, and the 3 widgets, and then NOT display any posts (like it is now.. boo!). 2. I want the menu items (which are categories i.e. recipes) to NOT display the callout, carousel, boxes, and widgets, and only display the posts within that category. It should also display the right sidebar (which it is not). Gosh I hope this makes sense. LoL Basically I want the home page to be a home page of a bunch of goodies and post pages to be just posts w/sidebar. I've been working on this for hours and can't find the magic setting. :(

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Kate

Hi Jenny - This is what I would do: Create a static page called "Home". Then in the "Template" option in the right column, choose the template you want. Also, you can use the sections below the main post area to add box content, etc. (You'll have to make sure your Template settings in the admin area coincide with this layout.) You'll also want to create a page named something like "blog". Finally, in the left column, you'll see an option titled "Reading". In there, choose to use "static pages". For the front page, choose the "Home" page you just created. For the posts page, choose the "Blog" page you just created.

Jenny

Hello again Kate. I've been messing around with things and created a "home" page like you suggested and then set it in the "Reading" wordpress option. Everything works great now. I didn't have to make a "blog" page. The category pages work now that I un-confused myself. Thanks again for your help!