Sign in to follow this  
jmcollett

Adding links to 'Box' pictures

tippytap

Martin, did you figure this out? I'm trying to figure it out!

jmcollett

Hey Tippytap, No I was unable to resolve this. I feel it would be a nice feature to add to the boxes section when including a link to a picture. Perhaps someone could implement this extra functionality as a check-box in the boxes section. M

toddfulks
Ok, now I am confused about this more than before. My client wants Boxes links to open in NEW window or tab. External links must open in new tab or new window. Anyone figure this out yet for Pagelines Platform Pro boxes links? Adding a normal target="_blank" in the link like I'd expect is broken in Pagelines Platform Pro. Is this a bug in Platform Pro? Why? :O

Rob
Todd, any link "inside" the box can be made to target a new tab or window. But the icon for the box doesn't normally allow this. Why? Because the purpose of the boxes is principally to call attention to or highlight content from within your own site. There being other means of providing links to external sources, there is no presumption boxes would be used for external links. Keep in mind that the focus of the majority (99.999999999%+) of Wordpress users want to keep their visitors on their own site and minimize identification of external links to the sidelines or footer. Another major reason is that the boxes shouldn't be used for ads, and given that capacity, they would doubtlessly find their way. While I understand the concept of opening a new tab or browser is to keep the visitor, the effect is still that the visitor leaves your site and is browsing elsewhere, not reading or navigating yours. It's definitely not a bug. I hope this sheds some light on the boxes and the reasons you questioned above.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

toddfulks
Respectfully, I disagree and the fact that this is a discussion here proves that people want to open Pagelines box links in a new tab or window. Not sure how you would know the purpose of the boxes for everyone. Sorry. I know you are trying to help. But - in my instance I am using them differently, the Pagelines boxes are just perfect to build a grid of 'OUR supporters', 'OUR partners' or 'OUR clients' or 'MY FAV Themes' which uses many images/logos. The link is on purpose. It adds value to the site. This used to not be the case, but since a couple years ago, it has been bad form to send someone away to another site but INSTEAD to open a fresh tab or window and let the visitor decide how to multitask with the extra info they chose to open. My client's site they want the visitor to see the sponsors of their charity and perhaps give them business - opening their link is important to my client but making them back arrow click over and over (sometimes 3-4 clicks deep) after seeing a sponsor's site is not helpful. Pagelines has handcuffed us - since there's no easy workaround to input the target="_blank" or check a box to accomplish the 'open in new tab or window' option. It is 2011 and people are used to tabbed browsing now. Any time there are links there should be this option. Or just create a Global Pagelines Setting that says 'YES/NO EXTERNAL LINKS ON THIS SITE WILL OPEN IN NEW TAB' - and be done with this discussion. There has to be some way to fix this. Love the boxes feature!!! Just want external links to behave according to more modern uses.