Sign in to follow this  
indakno

Categorgies / Post

indakno

I have the Platform Pro, www.indakno.com/atlanta-indakno. How do I set the categories as a blog page or how can I assign the categories to a Page? My original site is www.indakno.com and the categories are listed, but I can only list Pages on Platform Pro. Am I doing something wrong?

Guest Guest

Are you talking about setting a blog post category as a page on your site? You'll have to set up a custom menu in order to accomplish this. For example, if you want a page called "Rumors" which is just a list of all your blog posts under the category rumors, you will have to make a menu item called rumors and set the URL to be yourblog.com/category/rumors. The custom menu settings are under Appearance in the left menu of WP admin, just create a name for your menu, add your menu items, and then set the primary website navigation dropdown to reflect this new custom menu you've created.

indakno

Great info. One thing, when you say set the URL, that is where I am stuck.I created a menu namend events. I put the arts and entertainment page under that. Are you saying that the custom link should be yourblog.com/category/arts-entertainment? Will I be able to create drop down menus? For instance, under Events, I may have several types, so under events I want a page for each type and I want each page to show a list of articles for that page subject. Does that make sense?

Guest Guest

Yes you can create drop down menus, when you set up the menus the interface is an ajax format which will let you drag around the menu items which will let you set menu items as child and parent. For example, say you have a category holiday that you want under the events menu. If you drag the holiday link directly under the events menu but also drag it over a half inch from the left, you will see it automatically place it as a child page under the parent "event". And yes, when I said URL the custom link would be yourblog.com/category/category-name in order to be able to link to a list of the posts in that particular category.

indakno

I think I have everything in place, I just cant see the 1 post I do have on the child page (arts and entertainment). It just looks like a regular post or page. I cant see the blog entry on it. www.indakno.com/atlanta-indakno/ take a look. (i know the domain is long but its an extention of my original blog until I can get this figured out) Thanks

indakno

Also, since there are no category pages, how can I set the struucture of each page if there isnt one. Like the regular pages, I can make it default, box, etc. How do I do that to a category page. There are no category pages... from what i can see

Guest Guest

Hmmm, either post a direct link to that category page or reply when you're finished editing your menu, cause right now the only thing in the nav is News so I can't go check that out.

indakno
http://indakno.com/atlanta-indakno/category/news/ is the link. What is showing up is the landing page. I am thinking that maybe the page is designed to be structured like the landing page. Do you think that the pages are the same because its using the same default setting I used to create the front page? If I make changes, wont it change my front/landing page also? Because although I can create a category page visually, I cant find it on the back end to edit.... I know this sounds crazy. I appreciate your help though.

Guest Guest

I think I get what you're saying. Typically you'll want to set the home page to something other than the default page template for the very reason you are describing. If you want the home page to have the feature slider, but not on all the other pages, I would recommend setting your home page to use the feature template (which can be done on the right side when editing the page). Also, yes that is a good point. The category page uses a template that isn't exactly editable using the template layout editor. For example, on a clients blog we did a similar thing but the feature slider was showing up on that category page. So we had to throw this in the custom CSS to stop that:

body{}
	body.category #feature{display:none} 

So if you run across that issue, use that custom CSS and you can hide the feature slider on those category pages. Hope that all helps!

indakno

Ok. Everything is making sense now. The category portion of this them doesnt use pages, so there is nothing to edit. Is there a way to make a page out of a category or is this something we have already covered? "For example, if you want a page called "Rumors" which is just a list of all your blog posts under the category rumors, you will have to make a menu item called rumors and set the URL to be yourblog.com/category/rumors". I dont think that is even an option to make a category a page. Any suggestions?

indakno

I think I figured it out. My next question is, can the menu that I create link to the top of the page with the pages that are there also?

indakno

After a lot of playing, I beleive I have it. Thank you a lot. After studying your notes and a lot of trial and error, it is fixed. Thanks.