Sign in to follow this  
jeffsbesthemp

upgrade concern

jeffsbesthemp

Hi, Platform pro plugin: nex gen gallery, twitter for wordpress We got the notice that there was an upgrade available, but we're concerned that if we do that it will erase all the things we've done to make it look the way we want to. We can copy and paste the code we have brewing in the custom CSS box, but it there anything else we need to do to make sure it's finally almost beautiful self isn't distupted? The upgrade features look great, but we're just playing it safe. Some of the docs and post kind of covered this, but not exactly. Please advise. thank you.

onlinetracker

Build it in a local sandbox as if on the public server.. if it looks the same, you can be 99% sure it will be ok when you do the upgrades. That being said, no... you'll never find a guarantee that an update will go perfect and code doesn't get munched in the process. Backup early and often, and be prepared to patch.

Andrew

If your customization were done through options and the child theme you should be good to go. I agree that a local server, using WAMP or MAMP is a good idea if you're serious about your site :)

jeffsbesthemp

Sometimes we just have to ask, everyone remembers what is said in your advertising demo video about not knowing code, being programmers, etc..etc. right? We don't know what a "child theme" is, what a "local sandbox " is, what WAMP is, or MAMP is. We did it through the platform Pro front end functions, and custom code in the custom CSS box. So, should we do it or not? One of your staff contacted us all excited about it, and now it seems like no one can figure out if we should hit the gas or the brake. We are non programmers, and that's who this theme is primarily advertised to in the video "without the use of code". Please speak our language guys, we're paying customers. Thank you.

jeffsbesthemp

In reading this back, it sounds a little smart alecky, and we didn't mean it that way, let's just try it again. Just dumb it down for us guys, and throw us a bone. :) Upgrade, no upgrade? Thank you for your help.

makeylon

I would say do not upgrade. PlatformPro is the parent theme. Platform Base is the "child" theme. Basically, you would install both, then activate Platform Base. Base then gets most of its functionality by pulling code from the "Parent". But having the Base child allows you to do customization to the "child" theme Base, without affecting the core functionality of the theme. When updates to the "parent" theme come out, you can then upgrade it without worrying about any custom changes you've made because all the changes you made are contained within the "child" theme. Since you stated that you did all of your changes in the PlatformPro theme directly, then upgrading it will cause the loss of all of those changes, and you would then have to go back through and make the changes again.

katiepoo

Wait...Is it possible for them to cut and paste their changes into the base theme, get that dialed and then upgrade? I agree that the child theme issue is not discriptive enough up front. I think in setup instructions you should tell EVERYONE to install both themes, and activate just the Base. This should be the standard set up. That way if noobs (like me) think they areen't going to use any custom css, but end up using custom css anyway to do something specific or to paste some css from the forums, they don't have to remember that they need to switch to the Base Theme. It really IS great!! I am very excited about it!

jeffsbesthemp

Now, just to make sure, we've done all our stuff through the front end, and the Custom code CSS box. Can we just cut and paste the same stuff into the css box after it's upgraded? And will the front end changes stay the same? or need to be redone all over again. We're so confused. If there's new stuff that will help it rock more, we don't want to miss out, but obviously don't want to destroy all our hard work in making it look sharp.

cmunns

if all you've touched is CSS then yes you should be fine by just keeping a record of what's in that custom css box and pasting it back in the event that it doesn't carry over.

jeffsbesthemp

This raises a very basic, yet needed question, how do I know if we've activated the base, or the main one as our active theme?