Sign in to follow this  
mkmk

Magazine layout: how to have excerpts in bottom only

dustinfaddis

@cmunns, Thanks for the input. The amount of help you have given on the PL forum is incredible. I have much respect! The language in your instructions have me second guessing what I've done in editing the template. You state, "COPY: template.postloop.php file from PlatformPro into PlatformBase folder". I edited the template.postloop.php in the base theme, but it is not effecting my post excerpt. The bit of code that you have posted above is not exactly matching the code that I see on that template. I've tried editing to the point that you speak of, but I have failed. Am I supposed to put that bit of code in a file other than the template.postloop.php file? Maybe I activate the parent theme and edit the same? @MichaelK, I see you fixed yours, maybe you could give me a pointer. Thanks, Dustin

dustinfaddis

@cmmuns, how much would it cost for you to sign in to my user admin and fix the loop for me? I can't get it working. Shoot me an email if you would like to help: dustin@5ing.us Thanks, Dustin

Kate

Hey Dustin - Obvious question, but: did you activate the base theme? And, to everyone, for the record: Justin is correct. As Adam stated, by adding these to the base theme they won't be overridden if you upgrade platformpro.

Kate

Hey Dustin - Obvious question, but: did you activate the base theme? And, to everyone, for the record: Justin is correct. As Adam stated, by adding these to the base theme they won't be overridden if you upgrade platformpro.

dustinfaddis

Hey Kate, I am working from the base theme-it is active. The part of cmunns instruction that is confusing to me is the part about copying the parent theme template. I've tried editing both postloop templates and I've tried only editing the base postloop template.

bryan-hadaway

Marking for further developer help. Thanks, Bryan

Andrew

Hey Dustin, After all these threads, I'm a little confused as to what you're going for. Maybe we could start a new thread highlight the issue? I'm not sure the technique used here is really the absolute best method. In reality, version 1.4 will hopefully address the shortcomings on post content and post except handling.

dustinfaddis

Thanks for your response Andrew. I can start a new thread, but there has already been a thread on this topic. What I am trying to accomplish has to do with setting up the template so that my Blog page displays excerpts, but withholds displaying them on the full posts. Looking at my blog page: www.5ing.us/blog you can see the excerpt above the full post. I would like the template to withhold from displaying the excerpt associated with the full post. Maybe this option will be included with 1.4? Cheers, Dustin

Andrew

Dustin, Couldn't you just turn off excerpts on your posts pages using: `Post Excerpt or Summary Handling` Under 'blog and post' options?

dustinfaddis

Yeah, you can turn off excerpts, but then you don't see the excerpts on the recent posts below. The page looks to plain without excerpts on the recent posts. If I could rearrange the columns and thumbnail display of the recent posts below, I could live without the excerpts.

cmunns

Hey Dustin, well you could opt to hide the first one with css...this would refer to only that first excerpt and only on the blog page: ` .blog .fpost .post-excerpt { display: none; } ` Would that work out for you?

dustinfaddis

Thanks cmunns, that css did remove the excerpt-text, but the featured thumbnail is still there. Can I add some more code to that in order to remove the featured image in that full post? Many Thanks Sir! Dustin

dustinfaddis

That's a thoughtful assumption Bryan. I have attempted to eliminate the thumbnail, but haven't had success.

kastelic

What code did you use to try to hide the thumbnail?

dustinfaddis

Hey Jimmy, I don't remember. I tried to identify the css in Firebug and inserted that into cmunns rule. I'll have to give it another go when I get some things in order.

smicky

Hey Cmunns, I would love to use the loop but I don't have a "PlatformBase" folder. I have the PlatformPro folder and the Platform folder (free theme). Is the Free Platform folder the same as the Base Folder?

smicky

Bryan, I saw on my home page (on pagelines.com) that I am able to download the base folder. Do I just need to install that and use it as the current theme?

Andrew

Brand, In the launchpad, where you downloaded PlatformPro, you should see Base as well. Ap

jbstansell

I'd like to revisit this issue. I'm using the magazine style. I want my current article to be full length; all the others to show an excerpt. I copied the code for template.postloop.php into base, as suggested. I deleted the code lines, as suggested. Still don't see any difference. Any suggestions? Do I need to select some options somewhere to make this change kick in? (And yes, my current active theme is PlatformBase 1.3.2) www.otclawyer.com

timlinson

Looks fine to me.. unless you're talking about the number of posts? Check that full width post count is > 0: `PlatformPro > Settings > Blog and Posts > Number of Full Width Posts` Or if you're talking about the total # of posts: `WP Settings > Reading > Blog pages show at most`

jbstansell

Tim, thanks for taking a stab at the problem, but I'm not talking "full width," I'm talking "full length." I want my one post that is "full width" also to be "full length." I want my other posts to be excerpts only.

cmunns

In template.postloop.php look for this line: `<?php if(pagelines_show_content( get_the_ID() )): // Post and Page Content ?>` If you add this it should work or at least get you half there.: `<?php if(pagelines_show_content( get_the_ID() ) || $count == 1): // Post and Page Content ?>`