Sign in to follow this  
anvilmediainc

Site Migration Troubleshooting

anvilmediainc

Before actually launching the site I've been working on, I wanted to do a test run to work out the bugs. So I moved it from here: http://dev.davidlbackes.com/ to here: http://test.davidlbackes.com/ Everything on the new "test" subdomain works, except the social icons on the top right of the nav bar. They don't appear to be buttons even. I copied the database over, loaded my theme settings, and replaced my functions.php file in the Platform Base. Any ideas what's going on?

realjoshlee

Looks like if you co into core.css and change the .icons style info to this

.icons {
	    position: absolute;
	    z-index: 2 !important;
	}

it should work again.

anvilmediainc

I have that code in my Custom Code section already, in both the dev. and test. sites. I never touched the core.css to make this work originally. I'm not saying your way wouldn't fix it, but I'm trying to avoid editing the core files so I don't have to mess with them every time I upgrade.

bryan-hadaway

You don't have to. Use Custom Code > Custom CSS or base.css to place CSS. You just need to be more specific than the stylesheet you're trying to override. Thanks, Bryan

anvilmediainc

Right, but what I'm saying is that my social icons are there, but not clickable. So I guess to simplify the question: how can I make my social icons clickable again? I think something in functions.php might have gotten messed up during the transfer to test.davidlbackes.com because they weren't clickable then. After I tried that, I broke something on the original dev site (dev.davidlbackes.com) and stupidly didn't save a backup of my base theme. So now I have 2 sites with unclickable social icons in my nav bar and haven't been able to fix them (and I already have the z-index set as it was suggested above).

bryan-hadaway

Hmm, if you altered the code that much there's no way for us to know what all you did. I think the best thing to try next is to copy out all the custom coding you added to functions.php and then upload an original untouched version of functions.php and see if your icon function returns and then add your custom functions back one by one. Thanks, Bryan

anvilmediainc

I'm not sure whether I should be posting in this thread or this one now: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/topic.php?id=5234 Because I'm having issues with the custom CSS editor not working either, but I think that these problems are related to trying to upgrade the base child theme, having it totally destroy the site, and then me reverting back to 1.0.3. Anyway, I just activated the default WP theme, then reactivated 1.0.3 base child theme, and then tried editing custom CSS again. Didn't work, so I just deleted it all out (this time I saved a backup) to see what would happen. All that this changed was that my 3 social icons moved down the page and are floating over my content. But they're now actual clickable buttons. ??? I have no clue what's going on. As for functions.php--the only thing I did was remove the Stumbleupon function and add in the search box, exactly as outlined in this video: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/base-child-theme The only other things I've done today were, as I said above, try to upgrade my base to 1.0.4, and then revert back to 1.0.3 after it broke the site.

anvilmediainc

And since that got long let me clarify this: -- I deleted ALL of my custom CSS but the only thing that changed was my social icons moved down the page slightly and turned back into buttons -- All of my other CSS appears to not have changed, but I have no clue where it is getting pulled from since my custom CSS editor is completely empty Any help with what's going on is very appreciated

bryan-hadaway

I've marked both for developer review to perhaps get some insight on the issue and more importantly make it aware if there are bugs. Thanks, Bryan

anvilmediainc

Yeah, I just posted in the thread about the CSS saving issue and rolling my site back to the 1.1.5 Framework (still using the 1.0.3 base) fixed both issues instantly. I don't think the 1.2.1 framework is ready for use yet.

cmunns

This bug has been reported. The custom css and design control only work right now in PlatformPro not in Base, and not for all users as I tried to ducplicate the problem and could not.

anvilmediainc

If you or Andrew want to check out a site that this is currently happening on, post your email address and I can give you access to my test site.

anvilmediainc

So without any plugins active, and everything else being the same as my dev site, which is running 1.1.5/1.0.3, the site that I have running 1.2.1/1.0.3 still has the issues that my social media icons are not clickable on the newest version of the framework. Both sites use this CSS: ` .icons { position:absolute; top: 113px; z-index: 2 !important; } ` Unless I'm missing something, the only difference is that 1.2.1 is installed on the site that isn't working right.

anvilmediainc

Cross-post from here: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/topic.php?id=5234#post-28444 Alright I've figured out what was going on with the 1.2.2 (or 1.2.1) updates. 2 separate problems: 1. My WP-o-Matic plugin prevents the custom CSS editor from saving 2. The new 1.2.2 framework changed how elements are stacked (I'm assuming to fix some previous bugs) so my custom CSS z-index properties that I already had set up were conflicting with how the new framework handles the page elements. Removing all of my z-index properties from my custom CSS and adding this made my social icons clickable again: ` .icons { position:absolute; top: 113px; z-index: 999 !important; } `