Sign in to follow this  
codysan

Sidebar Login Button Weirdness

codysan

Could somebody take a look at my site's blog page and checkout what's going on with the login button . . . I hadn't noticed it because I'm always logged in . . . but I went to check out the site in other browsers and saw a long gray bar under the button and I have no clue as to how to fix it . . . I can't seem to find the selector in Firebug that controls whatever that is. The page is here: http://www.lacleansweep.org/blog/ Thanks

Guest Guest

That login button is contained within a <p> tag with a class of "submit", so <p class="submit"> When I deleted the class when inspecting the element the grey bar goes away, I'll try and dig up where that line of code is and you'll just have to remove the class="submit" and you'll be good to go. Hold up

Guest Guest

Are you by chance using this sidebar widget plugin? http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/sidebar-login/ If so, all you'll have to do is edit sidebar-login.php and find the section that says:

<p class="submit"><input type="submit" name="wp-submit" id="wp-submit" value="<?php echo $thelogin; ?> »" />

<input type="hidden" name="sidebarlogin_posted" value="1" />
				<input type="hidden" name="testcookie" value="1" /></p>

and delete the class="submit" in the very first <p> tag. I tested this out on my test server and it removes the grey field and the plugin still works. Hope that helps!

bryan-hadaway

`body #sidebar .submit{width:70px}` Add to Custom Code > Custom CSS. Thanks, Bryan

Guest Guest

Bryan, I undid the fix I posted above and tried your method and that actually did not work. Just a heads up.

bryan-hadaway

`body #sidebar .button, body #sidebar input[type="submit"], body #sidebar input[type="button"], body #sidebar .submit{width:70px}` No problem, let's try that. Thanks for helping out Tyler, just gave you your first karma point. Thanks, Bryan

Guest Guest

Bryan, Cheers mate. I just tried the new custom CSS you posted and again, still a no go. Also, wouldn't your fix of just adjusting the width of that box to 70px still leave it there? Then there would just be an extra border around the login box instead of getting rid of the grey bar completely. I actually tried a couple custom CSS things before I went digging deeper and I couldn't figure out a way for the life of me, that's why I just went to the source and killed that <p> class. If you can think of another CSS fix I'll test it out, but otherwise I can confirm that my fix will take care of the problem, although it'll involve editing that plugin php file.

bryan-hadaway

The CSS is working for me with Firebug, might be a specificity problem, might need to use the `!important` declaration. Nothing more to suggest really, manual or CSS workaround. I think the origination of the problem is a class or id being styled by two different sources. Thanks, Bryan

codysan

I dumped the widget and went with something else that seems to be working out better. Thanks for trying to help, guys . . . PC