Sign in to follow this  
webmachiavelli

Loop Help - Lots and Lots

webmachiavelli

So I'm redesigning this website. The current CMS is Joomla. I'm not a fan of Joomla so I've been building out everything in WordPress. More or less I've got the index done. The way the site works now, and I'd like to continue, is anyone who joins can post. The editors, if they like the content, feature your post on the index. So what I think I need to edit the loop to exclude everything except "category a"... Is this right? And if it is then how do I go about doing that in Platform Pro because honestly I can't figure this out.

webmachiavelli

Herve I'll give it a look but I'm making every effort to stay away from them where I can.

webmachiavelli

Ok I tested it out. Oddly enough it limits the admin's ability to edit posts.

webmachiavelli

Adam Thanks for the suggestion. Problem is that doesn't really solve the problem either. I mean it does in a way present a work around but it doesn't keep those who are registered out of the loop. I know this can be done in WordPress because it is done on RedState. Plus anything Joomla can done WordPress can do better. ;-)

Andrew

well the recommended approach would be with a plugin... alternatively, you could hack the code and add a conditional: `if(!is_category(...)) do this...`

Andrew

Hey Chance, If you really want to edit the loop code, then I'll tell you how. Templates can always be overridden in the child... so in your child theme, add: `template.postloop.php` and re-add all the template code from PlatformPro. Then you can edit this 'child' code to your heart's content without fear of losing upgradability :) after that, use some PHP conditionals to control exactly what you want to see

webmachiavelli

Andrew Just so I do this right. I went into Platform Pro and copied and moved the following files into Platform Base: template.postloop.php template.load.php template.dwidgets.php template.content.php template.branding.php style.css single.php sidebar.php Anything else or should did I copy too much?

bryan-hadaway

That's probably fine, let us know if you have any issues. Thanks, Bryan

Andrew

Well only copy the templates that you actually want to override :)