Sign in to follow this  
janpeeters

Need for speed

janpeeters

Hi, I've setup a basic structure for my new website with Platform Pro. http://www.janpeeters.nl/wordpress I'm using Typekit on it, which might not be the best solution for speed but I love being able to use better fonts. I also need to have WPML for a bilingual site. So now I'm trying to scrape as much bytes off my site as possible. And think of strategies to have it load faster. Hopefully you can think with me how to achieve that. I'm de'bugging' the site with pingdom, YSlow, Pagespeed, FirePHP in Firebug and websiteoptimization.com Besides that I've - Installed as few plugins as possible - Installed W3 Total Cache with all standard settings on (plus minify and CDN activated). A few things puzzle: - When I run the site though websiteoptimizations it mentions that there are 25 images (also CSS images) on my homepage. But there are only 6 visible as far as I can tell. In the list of images are a lot of Platform Pro images that are not used on the page. So it seems to load them for nothing. - The site also warns that there is 58587 bytes of external javascript. I'm not sure where that comes from, but Superfish and jQuery stuff seems to eat quite a bit. One YSlow remark that is not about bytes but about speed optimizations. - it mentions that a lot of files in platform pro don't have 'expires headers'. It suggests to add them. I've also been thinking about the following. I like Platform Pro a lot. But it's a theme with a lot of features and quite a bit of code that I'm not using. Like Features, Carousels etc. Do you expect that I'll gain significant added speed when I try to reproduce my site for example with a framework like Thematic? Kind regards and thanks for your reply, Jan

catrina

Since Thematic is a very minimal theme, I think reproducing your site with it would allow for more speed.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

janpeeters

Hi Catrina, thanks for your reply. Still I would love to know if there are other things that can be done to speed up my site, regarding my other questions. I'd love to be able to keep using Platform Pro so I first want to see what gain I can get by tweaking. Thanks. Jan

cmunns

Jan, Certainly it's difficult to keep a site screeching fast while also providing so many options and advanced functionality. I'm sure Andrew is working on optimizing things as we've had this complaint a few times now on performance.

janpeeters

Hi Adam, it's great to hear that you are already working to improve this. I was certain that investing in your platform was a good idea and this confirms that. So I'll be patient and see what next versions will bring. Thanks, Jan

Andrew

Jan, The performance of Platform is already nearing what you can do with any WP theme... some reasons it might not be at break-neck speed:

1. We use WordPress' Jquery library which is 70K
  2. Because of the wide array of user preferences, we can't combine or load scripts exactly like we'd want to (but still pretty good)
  3. CSS and JS frameworks are already loaded on an 'as-needed' basis
Just make sure you are using w3 total cache. Since PageLines infrastructure is based on this, it is always going to be a top consideration.