Sign in to follow this  
mkmk

Installation: 3 basic (and probably simple) questions

mkmk

After watching the installation videos several times & pouring through the forums, I still have 3 basic questions about PlatformPro & PlatformPro Base installation. I??™m installing today and hope someone can help. I want to make sure that changes I make are preserved in the future when I install an update. 1. I will be using the PlatformPro Admin settings to adjust color, select sections, etc. etc. When I do this, is it making the changes in the program or in the child theme? 2. I may be making some other small changes (trying out your instructions to use CSS which I??™ve never done before but want to try.) You stress these should be to the child theme (base) so that the changes remain in the future when I install an update. How do I know I??™m making changes to the platform base folder and not the original platformpro folder? (As you can see, I??™m very inexperienced!) 3. On the forum, someone talks about the importance of changing the names so it'll be clear which program is which. So: a) How do I change the name? B) Does this have to happen right when I install or can it be later? c) Do you have a suggestion of names for each or is this totally arbitrary -- I don't want to do something that will be a problem when I install updates? Thank you to whomever can help! Michael

catrina

1. You need to activate the child theme Platform Base in Appearance > Themes in order for the child theme changes to be made. Also important: the folder for this theme must be renamed "platformpro" in order to work. 2. Same answer as above. You must activate the child theme first to make sure that it's the one you're working with. 3. Open the themes folder in your WordPress install and rename the Platform Base folder there and it cannot be named anything else. You have to do the renaming when you start making the changes you want so if you've already started that, make sure rename the folder right away.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

mkmk

1. When I loaded them, I only activated the Platform Base. Under Appearance>Themes, it says "PlatformBase 1.0.4" is the current theme. "PlatformPro 1.2.1" shows up underneath as an available theme but it is not activitated. So, first of all: Am I right that I did that correctly? Am I right that, except for changing the name, I don't have to do anything different? 2. Where / how do I rename the folder? 3. Perhaps this is something different, but in the Appearance box on the left, Platform Pro isn't listed. When I go back into Themes (as above) it says that PlatformBase 1.0.4 has template files and stylesheet files in /themes/platformbase. Meanwhile PlatformPro 1.2.1. (not activated) has template and stylesheet files in /themes/platformpro.. . . Does this mean that, right now, PlatformPro 1.2.1 is the one named platformpro while the other is names platformbase? So, if I change platformbase to platformpro won't that be two files with the same name. Is that okay? Or is this something different altogether? 4. So far, I've only made changes based on the Settings choices -- in color, columns, etc. Will those things be okay or do I have to redo them? THANKS! Michael

kastelic

You need to have the folder "platformpro" and the folder "platformbase". platformpro will have all your core files that make up the framework. The platformbase folder contains just a few files that affect styling and hooks so you can mess around with them without worrying about messing up your framework. So no, you don't want to rename one to the other. And yes, it sounds like you have it correctly installed by activating platformbase, and it showing platformpro as not being activated. Platform base is your activated theme, but it references files from the framework (platformpro). That's why platformpro has to be named exactly that, not platformpro_dev or myplatformpro or anything else.

mkmk

Now I'm really confused. Thanks to Catrina and Jimmy for their answers, but on one point they seem to give opposite answers. Catrina says "the folder for this theme must be renamed "platformpro" in order to work." Jimmy says don't rename. As I mentioned, My goal is to ensure that any changes I make will be preserved in the future when I update the theme. So my two questions: - is that correct, that I should not change the names of the programs. (Perhaps it's already correct -- please see the names in my posting above.) - and if I need to change it, what is the step-by-step of doing so. Thanks again! M.

catrina

My apologies, I misread a little detail :). The PlatformPro folder must be named "platformpro". Jimmy is correct. PlatformBase uses the templates from PlatformPro, but it is where the customization for CSS takes place.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse