Sign in to follow this  
intellagentz

Global nav bar

intellagentz

I've read through a few posts on adding a second nav bar (mostly above header). I would rather do without than to attempt the hard coding customization for fear of mistakes. There was a comment made by staff that you could possibly add this feature in a subsequent release. Is this in fact in the pipeline and if so, do you have a timeline? I'm looking for text links with hover only (ie no drop down). Is there a simpler way of achieving this?

Andrew

well you could customize the current one with custom CSS.... You shouldn't be afraid of doing that, as it will be hard to get what you want without it :) Have you installed Firebug and watch the tutorials here? http://www.pagelines.com/docs/changing-colors-fonts

intellagentz

thank you, I did read that tutorial but it speaks to CSS customization. I was referring to the addition of the additional nav menu. I'd prefer to avoid the hard code in order to preserve integrity so just wondering about possibility of adding it in a future release.

msaizan

Carl, for a possible work around try this plug in - http://shailan.com/wordpress/plugins/dropdown-menu it will get you an above the branding horizontal (or vertical) drop down navabar quickly - easy as pie to style inside the admin panel. i just tried it out - worked great for me. i just needed a simple horizontal above the branding menu bar for the ecommerce links to the store componet of my website - shopping cart, terms of sale, etc. can work for you as a long term solution too - but/and when/if the powers that be add the function into the theme you can taker er down then.

intellagentz

Thanks for that. It looks promising. However, I noticed that it seems to require a "header" sidebar widget in order to place the menus to the corresponding position discussed. Base theme doesn't include header widgets. What theme are you using? Do you have a link to your site?

msaizan

put your universal side bar above the branding. you can do this at "Template set up in the drag and drop PL settings panel. "Template Set Up" in PageLines Admin panel... Look at "Site Header Template Options" - drag Universal sidebar from the inactive list "available/disabled" sections - and then drop it into "displayed Site Header Options". you set your menu items up at Wordpress Custom Menus - wordpress admin panel. go to widgets - drag the plug in widget into the universal sidebar - the plug-in installs a widget. then select your custom menu. the plugin widget gives you that option. poke if you get stuck.

msaizan

i am using Platform Pro Base. i will send you a link to my site shortly. i am styling the menu bar now. it's matching up well to my global nav - and i am doing it all from the plug in settings inside wordpress admin panel - no style sheets or hard coding. enough selectors inside the plug in panel to get the job done.

intellagentz

Perfect sense and as soon as I read first 4 words, i knew exactly what to do... Unfortunately, still not rendering. Ack! I set up custom menu items (ie did not select pages) just to try it out, but I don't think that should matter.

intellagentz

Further to my post, I note the following: The menu does not render on my Home Page, but does on all others. However, the page links are listed vertically.

intellagentz

Further update: I realized that you MUST include the "drop down menu" widget in the universal sidebar (ie. do NOT select the 'custom menu' widget) I'm close to having it work, except for the fact that the menu is not rendering on my Home page. Any thoughts there would help.

intellagentz

Okay, finally worked through it. I went to my home page and sure enough, the "universal sidebar" was set not to display. DONE! Best Additional / Global Navbar solution I've yet to hear that requires NO hard coding. Thanks again to Margaret.

msaizan

yes exactly. you must drag the plug in widget into the Universal sidebar - not the custom menu.hmmm...might not be rendering on your home page because the Universal Side Bar settings may be dectivated on your default pages or on that particular page or post - the one you are using for your home page. I am assuming you set that up at WP "settings" "read"? You either need to: activate the Unviersal Side Bar in your page template options so that it is defaulted to "show" always on your default page or post page - whatever you are using for your home page and/or select "show Universal sidebar" in the post/page wysiwyg editor for the home page. to the right of the wysiwyg editor - tick the box. here's my menu - i didn't want it to look exactly like the Global - it's a sub nav but i think it's gonna do just fine. This is just a place holder though. http://matthewwhitestudio.net/shop/

msaizan

carl send me the link to your site so i can see what we're talking about! thanks for the karma points!