Sign in to follow this  
webmachiavelli

New Loop

webmachiavelli

Hey gang Ok I'm still trying to figure out the best way to render my site the way I want it to. The basic concept of the site is a news website not so different than say TalkingPointsMemo. Not the look per say but the way it is layed out and designed. (New Loop #1) Headline : I like this rendered essentially how Pagelines renders "Full Width Posts" in the magazine layout. The loop would generate from the headline category I assume. (New Loop #2) At some point I'll want to have "editions" based on say a city. Again I'm assuming this would be rendered by category. Now who wants to show me how to get this to work? I'd love to learn this so I can incorporate this into a few sites down the line.

Andrew

could you just use category pages to do this?

webmachiavelli

Andrew, In theory yes using a category would work. If I didn't want to tweak that page for that edition. Not to get too into the business model but I'm plugging in BlogAds so that candidates or political clubs in a specific market can advertise on the edition that covers their city. I doubt someone reading about Chicago politics really wants to see ads from candidates in NYC. And since I wouldn't be able to control what ads show up when a category page renders I thought it best to just create a page for each of the cities we are covering. I believe once I've learned how to create the loop and have it render as it does now in the base theme I'll be pretty close to covered for the functionality of what I want to do with the site.

Andrew

well messing with the loop can easily become quite complicated, because it messes with pagination and other things... The easy and recommended way to do this is with: 1. Hooks 2. Conditional PHP so you could hook in to the loop some where and basically say: `if(is_page(whatever)) add_my_specific_content` does that help?