Sign in to follow this  
codysan

Simple CSS Rollover Problem

codysan

I've been trying to create a simple link button, using two images for normal state and hover state, ostensibly to work in a text box on the full width sidebar in Platform Pro but the images don't seem to be appearing. Here's the code for the link:

And here's the CSS I'm using in the Custom Code section to style the effect:
#roll_one {display:block; width:164px; height:60px; text-indent:-999em; background:url("http://localhost/philipcody/images/ad-button-normal.jpg");} #roll_one:hover {background:url("http://localhost/philipcody/images/ad-button-hover.jpg");}
The problem is, the images aren't showing up. All I get is a blank space with pointing finger where I'd expect the button to be showing up. I know this subject isn't exactly a PlatformPro issue, but I've been trying to solve this all day . . . and I'm almost ready to go live with my site and this is giving me a humongous headache. Thanks for listening . . . PC

pcgs

Remove everything before "images" in your path and see what happens. It works for me and I work locally too. I see you are using localhost and probably MAMP. I wish that PlatformPro would use relative links because its a pain in the neck to find them all and fix each time I upload to the server.

codysan

Thanks, Priscilla . . . I still can't get it to work. I've tried moving the two button images to the PlatformPro images fold, I tried your suggestion and about a dozen other variations and zip . . . then I ftp'ed the images to a folder on one of my other web sites and entered that url into the code and got the normal image but not the hover state. I'm going to take a few days off and come back at it again after the holiday. Thanks for the help. ps . . . have you tried using any kind of plug-in to update your links after uploading to the server. I'm curious, because I'll be doing that soon and I was wondering if you had any recommendations. Anyhow . . . thanks again PC

codysan

Thanks Bryan . . . My problem is that I know how to code for the effect . . . but, for some reason, when I point the url to my images folder on the site, the images aren't showing up. If I upload my images to my other web site and then point the url to that web location, everything works fine and yet, every other line of code in the custom code box that references the image folder in WAMP - http://localhost/philipcody/images/img.jpg - works just fine. I'm truly puzzled

catrina

What images folder are you uploading the images to? Is it the default "uploads" folder for WordPress?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

pcgs

I didn't realize you were using the custom code box. Why not try the base.css file? If you are using platformbase try putting your images in that folder and then use a relative path from there. Just a thought. That's how I work with it and it works with my localhost and on the remote. Also I wasn't aware of any plugins that would revise my links upon ftp-ing them to the server. My strategy is to use relative addressing to get around this issue. However I'm finding some issues with PlatformPro itself (on another thread) and waiting for developer advise. We need to stay in touch. Sounds like we are in very similar predicaments. Happy New Year!

codysan

Thanks folks . . . in the end, I decided to go with creating the button I wanted using straight css and no images and I'm really happy with that outcome. Priscilla . . . I'm probably a day away from migrating my site for the first time from my local environment to the Web . . . so, you'll probably be hearing from me. PC

pcgs

I think you already accomplished your migration but if in need you will find me at <www.priscillachristian.com>