Sign in to follow this  
pcgs

PlatformPro: New pages not showing in navigation properly

pcgs

I've built several sites with PlatformPro so far. When I create a new page "(no parent)" the new page title automatically appears in the nav bar. If I change the page to be a child of a parent page (dropdowns enabled in PlatformPro>Header and Nav), the new page should appear in the dropdown list from under the assigned parent nav button. That's the way my site used to work. Today, when I created a new "no parent" page I can see it in the nav bar. But if I change it to be a child of a "no parent" page, the page is not showing up in the drop down. What is even more puzzling is that I'm still seeing it in the nav bar as a top level menu item. What is going on? I've cleared my cache several times. I'm beginning to distrust what is going on in this site because it began to load very slowly last night. I started deactivating plugins and now I've almost removed them all. I suspect that using and then removing the NexGen Gallery and installing and then removing SlidePress gallery to be an issue. I have uninstalled them both and the load times have improved but not enough. Plus I now have this "Where the heck is my new page in the nav bar?" pickle to sort out. URL: http://handsonpaws.com/ Note: nav bar shows "GALLERY" in the top level. That page should be showing up last in the drop down under "DOG TRAINING" but I see it at the top. I want to get this navbar/page issue resolved first then move on to the load times in a separate thread but realize that this may have something to do with the issue so I thought I'd best mention it here just in case. Thanks.

bryan-hadaway

So you're doing exactly what you've done before and got it working just fine and now with the exact same scenario on a different site it isn't working, is that correct? To verify, what are the differences in these setups, are they on; - Same Host? - Same WordPress Version? - Same Theme Version? - Same Plugins? - Same Nav Choice / Automatic or Custom Menu? In other words are your pages auto added to the menu or have you complete control over it by creating a custom menu in: Appearance > Menus ? Thanks, Bryan

pcgs
  • Same Host? Yes
  • Same WordPress Version? Yes v3.0.3
  • Same Theme Version? Yes
  • Same Plugins? No my slow site now has ALL plugins turned off and its way slower than the other one
  • Same Nav Choice/Automatic or Custom Menu? Automatic (but thanks for explaining that one)

For the record, I took a break and after doing some other unrelated edits find that I was able to change the page named "Gallery" to appear in the dropdown. So the nav bar now mystically works but I bet if I add another page it will act up again. As stated, ALL plugins are off (including Akismet). Occasionally when I'm in the admin panel and I click to go to a almost any section, instead of arriving at the page where I want to work, my browser thinks I want to download a .php file and will ask me if I want to save or view, something like "post.php" This is more than a bit unsettling. This has happened numerous times and one time I got an "Error establishing a database connection" message. I clicked the back button on the browser and reloaded the page and it went away. But something isn't right. Wondering if I need to completely rebuild this site. Because I'm thinking something is terribly wrong. If I can figure out what is wrong I would think it would become apparent how to fix. But I'm running out of ideas how to handle this. Because simply uninstalling plugins didn't fix much in my universe. Honestly I know I will come back and work this tomorrow and the site will load quickly for a while then it will start to tank. IOW every now and then pages take only a few seconds then it slows down big time. Thanks.

willrubio

PCGS, If it is a custom made menu, go to Appearance > Menu and arrange the hierarchy how you want it to appear essentially creating which menus you want to be drop downs. Hope this helps. Will

Kate

@pcgs I'm noticing a bit of a delay in it loading as well, to be honest. Is there anything custom you've done (PHP coding in particular)? I'm just trying to think what may be slowing it down. Alternatively, you may try contacting the host and letting them know the issue. If that still doesn't resolve it, I would backup you PageLines theme, your PageLines settings, and perhaps export the WordPress XML file. Then, try creating a new WordPress install (not just PlatformPro). The issues you're having now sound more like WP issues than theme issues..

pcgs

@William: no it is an automatic menu not custom @Katie: Absolutely no PHP edits whatsoever. But yes, that would be a great guess. I have contacted the host to let them know about it. They ran diagnostics and said that everything is running normally on their end. What do you mean export the Wordpress XML file? Or did you mean the .sql? I will export the .sql when I backup this version of the site but I'm thinking that is where the problem is. I will not install NexGen Gallery again. I believe that is where everything went wrong. Even in the documentation (which the author did not write) there are cautions along the way regarding settings. It is truly a Rubic's Cube plugin if you try to customize it.

Kate

@pcgs Sorry I wasn't more clear... The SQL file is a more comprehensive way of backing things up, and if you're comfortable with that... that's absolutely fine. The WP XML file is what's generated when you choose "Export" in the Tools section. Please let us know how it goes. Hopefully you get it working "full speed" again ;)

pcgs

Thanks Katie but I've given up on this account. There is no way to figure out what the problem is. Because life is way too short I am reinstalling a fresh everything. Yes, I backed up but not going to use much but the graphics and CSS. I have another thread going regarding MAMP which is in the interest of rebuilding this site locally and then uploading directly. This question isn't going to be resolved. Feel free to delete this thread and hopefully I will get the other question answered. Thanks again.