Sign in to follow this  
inov8ed

Trim up whitespace and double social media icon size

inov8ed

Hi, Just got PlatformPro up and running on our site: http://www.inov8-ed.com Great theme. Two thinks I have questions on. 1. How can I trim some of the whitespace padding at the top of the site. Specifically between the branding, menu, callout and main content. I would like to "tighten things up". 2. How can I easily double the size of the social media icons to say 32x32 or 64x64? Is there an easy way to add this in with custom CSS? Related to that, is there a way of just putting a widget in the place of these social media icons? Thanks! -Adam

catrina

1. Go to the base.css file in PlatformBase and add this code:

div.content-pad {margin-bottom: -20px;}
	#callout-area {margin-top: -10px;}
	#main-content {margin-top: -40px;}

div.content-pad = Decreases space between branding and menu. #callout-area = Decreases space between menu and callout #main-content = Decreases space between callout and main content *You may change the numbers to "tighten up" as much as you'd like, but leave the "-" there. 2. If you'd like to double the size of the icons, they will have to be altered in an image editing program because the coding that displays the icons uses a background image property rather than a regular img property.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

inov8ed

Is there a way of just replacing the entire social media area with a widget instead? There are a number of good social media widgets wthat can use custom or larger icons... Would I have to make a hook ot replace them or edit the files directly? -Adam

cmunns

It would be easiest to use a hook. What widget do you plan on using? It will likely provide PHP that you can use in the hook

bryan-hadaway

You'll need to find the PHP code for the plugin, we won't be able to use a widget or shortcode. If you can't find the PHP code to display Social Media Widget you'll need to ask the author. Thanks, Bryan

inov8ed

Wouldn't it be easier to just turn that area into a place where a plugin could hook into? If not, I guess I could just replace all the html in the area or double the size of the background images and links... -Adam

bryan-hadaway

Okay, hold tight. I'm marking for a developer to have a closer look. Thanks, Bryan

Kate

Hey Adam - Are you at least somewhat comfortable with PHP? What @cmunns suggested earlier is an option. You can find more info on hooks in our documentation: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/base-child-theme Also, as a side point, even if the plugin you find only has shortcodes available (and not a direct PHP function to call), you can use WP's do_shortcode() function.

inov8ed

Hi Bryan, Any word back from the developers? Seems to me there are two options, correct? 1. Change area where social media icons are currently into a widget area and add whatever social media plugin you want to use 2. get PHP code to call Social Media Widget (or whatever widget is needed) and create a hook to put it in that spot on the template. Is this correct? Which is easier/better in the long run? Thanks. -Adam

Andrew

Hey Adam, If you need a new hook or filter, just let us know where (in the code) and we will add it for you. No worries, we're here to make you happy brother~

inov8ed

PlatformPro is fantastic, just looking for those final tweaks to make it perfect. I guess I am asking what would be the best route for better management of the social media plugins on the top from my post above, #1 or #2? Thanks. -Adam

cmunns

It's a matter of personal preference but in either case we would need from you the PHP line of code to manually initialize the plugin. Likely it can be attained from the plugin authors or plugin forums

inov8ed

Ok, so it would have to be a hook coded to a particular plugin chosen, not a generic widget area that could be added via the widget menu? -Adam

Andrew

Adam, if I understand you, it can be done several ways. In the future, lets separate questions, and add screencasts so we can help you better :)

inov8ed

Ok. I will seperate the question and repost. Thanks. -Adam