Sign in to follow this  
rbtaylor

Using boxes/banners within pages

rbtaylor

First post on platform forum and want to start out by saying thanks for creating such a great product. I am trying to find out if I can embed boxes/banners within page content without having to edit the template. What I have to do right now is setup a complex default template that has all of the possible box/banner layouts for my different pages and then specifically choose the correct box/banner for that page in the page setup. This makes for really bad management of my pages. Another thing I tried also to clean things up was to create some new templates that allowed me to place the box/banner widgets and use these templates based on the page type. Long story short, it would be fantastic if we could control the box/banner layout on a page by page basis, or add an option to the gui to child an existing template to add features. There is probably a way to do this already and I look forward to peoples feedback. A second question regarding boxes is how to get the boxes to interact nicely with the content of the page, i.e embed a box within the content. There is probably a way to do this, but it wasnt apparent from the documentation.

catrina

You can control the box/banner layout on page-by-page basis by configuring the options in the Page editor when you edit each page (the settings are on the right side and on the bottom). By embedding a box within the content, do you mean adding a regular box (in the Template Settings) to where the page content is?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

rbtaylor

To be more specific, my first question is regarding the layout not turning on/off boxes or banners or changing which box / banner sets are shown. As an example: For some pages I may want a box set above the content, another the box set below, or perhaps a box and banner combination. The problem I ran into is that I couldnt figure out a nice way to setup the templates such that I could control at a fine grain the layout for the different pages. It looks like everything is global at that level and I needed to create some new templates so I could have a few different layout defs. I probably missed something, so please correct me where I'm wrong. For the second question, yes I want to put a box/banner/soapbox within the content. Its a fantastic building block, but I want to be able to mix the box with other content and, other than inserting the custom div code into the content I havent been able to get it to work.

cmunns

Embedding boxes within the page content so it's flush with the sidebar has been brought up a lot but is not something currently possible unless you were to tweak the code yourself, which would be very advanced. Additionally boxes can only be assigned once per page which is also something that has come up and we are working on both of these.