Sign in to follow this  
bessinger

YouTube Embed in Excerpt

bessinger

Greetings, I am hoping to find a way to include youtube embeds playable from the excerpt. I have seen another thread on the forum for someone who wanted the image to be the full-width of the post. I used that code - and a modified version of that code - and it didn't work out. What do I need to do to get a youtube embed playable from the excerpt? I also want to say that I love the product and the support. I know you guys field a lot of complaints and I just want to say that I value the product and I appreciate how well supported it is. Thank you, Justin

Kate

Hey Justin - Thanks for the feedback. Essentially what you'll need to do is choose to use "full content" on posts instead of an excerpt in your settings. (I'm not sure which theme you're using... the options vary slightly between themes.) Then you can use the

<!--more-->

tag for where you want the excerpt to start. See, by default the excerpt function isn't going to handle elements like videos. The other option is to (without changing any options) use the manual excerpt that's available under the main content area when you add a post. You can copy/paste the portion of your post that you want to use as an excerpt (including your video) and it will appear. Let us know if you have any questions implementing either of those options. And, thanks for the feedback, btw :)

bessinger

That is spectacular! It never occurred to me that the excerpt override would allow embed code. Thanks. I did notice that the "Continue Reading" link is still there. Any recommendation on how to remove that when there is nothing extra after the jump? (Either a post code change or posts page code change?)

bryan-hadaway

It's really just a good link to have to the post anyways. I could show you how in a CSS, although PHP might be better. Thanks, Bryan

bryan-hadaway

Okay, I need a link and where do you not want the "Read More" link to appear? Also, you get it even if you don't use `` ? Thanks, Bryan

bryan-hadaway

Okay, I need a link and where do you not want the "Read More" link to appear? Also, you get it even if you don't use `` ? Thanks, Bryan

bessinger

I found some code to add to index.php to add logic based on customer fields. I tag posts as show full, and index.php will show the whole thing. Thanks to both of you for your help.