Sign in to follow this  
Karoleena Homes

Website / Admin area running SLOW!

Karoleena Homes

I've read all of the other documentation but none of the recommended steps to speeding things up have worked for me. Link to website: Please can someone tell me how to resolve? My page load times are huge (10 seconds +) and at this point I'm willing to try anything including switching hosts if that will help! Thanks so much in advance for any advice.

Andrew

Install w3 total cache *(plugin) There are some settings, but you should go through there site to get them. You should also try a CDN like CloudFlare or NetDNA Finally, are you using Pingdom tools?

jrustybishop

Im having the exact same issue. Site is super slow all of a sudden. Tried to load w3 total cache - caused a fatal error and will not activate. I traced the load problem to custom.css in 2 separate instances using webpagetest.com. Editing Css is beyond me. Any ideas? or results from Andrew's suggestions?

cmlstudios

For me W3 Total Cache was a huge improvement, so it's worth persevering to get it running properly. Note it will not work with other caching plugins running, so that could be part of the fatal error problem. Plugins in general can be a big issue. I know it sounds flippant, but turn off and delete any plugins you don't "absolutely need." (Yeah, right, I needed it, otherwise why would I install it? :) ) Hosting may be an issue if you are getting a lot of traffic, but at least at the start of your site you will be able to achieve a lot with caching and reducing the amount of extra processing with plugin management. Chris

Karoleena Homes

Same issue. I installed W3 Total Cache and now have fatal errors with the site. I reset site permissions and it works for a minute, then crashes again. The errors started when I reset permissions on the wp content folder. The install (for w3 total cache) said that my wp content folder was not writable so I had to change permissions. After that, everything went downhill. Should we have to change permissions for this plugin? I thought it was a bad idea to ever change permissions but the plugin seemed that it wouldn't work (cache clearing) until I made that mod.

Andrew

Yes, you need to be careful with the w3 plugin. I'd check out the WordPress.org solutions for particular configuration solutions ... it is running great on the PlatformPro demo. Not sure why custom.css would cause particular issues... post those results if they are applicable.