Sign in to follow this  
webmachiavelli

I need to create....

webmachiavelli

Ok so I need to create a section just under my navigation bar on urbanelephants.org[url=http://www.urbanelephants.org]. The idea would be to house a 300 x 250 banner ad and the like a featured blog entry. I'm rather comfortable with how Pageline Pro generates Full Width Posts for the Magazine layout. I'd be keen on using that for my "headline" section. Would it be possible to use that to render the latest post from a set category?

catrina

I see that you added a spot to the site already for your headline. Do you just need a way of adding a featured post from a certain category and an ad banner or is that a temporary location you're displaying?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

webmachiavelli

Well Catrina I'm a bit confused about what I need to do here. First. I after doing a lot of reading I see that the majority of screen resolutions are registering at 1024 or larger. So I'm thinking I should design at width of 1024 no? Second. The "headline" I think it would be best if I could generate it from category. Honestly I've not gotten around to it. I'm sure if I read up I'd figure out how to make it happen. But if someone knows the code needed I'd be thankful.

cmunns

By default the max width of the site content area is 960px so you would definitely not want to do 1024px as screen resolution is not a guideline for how to necessarily size things. As far the code you need... are you trying to generate a headline in the highlight section that pulls the current category name?

webmachiavelli

Adam I really don't understand why it would be limited to 960. That just seems like a lot of real estate to be leaving unusable consider the majority of people are viewing at 1024 or greater. Also as far as the headline. The idea is to do a query of category 13. Or is 19. I forget. Anyhow the idea is to have that query render the latest post-blog out of that category as we do in the Full Width Posts for the Magazine layout.

Andrew

Hi, There isn't a limit, depends on what you do with the layout builder.. As for your question, its a little confusing what you're looking to do. You can either use a hook or a section to do what you want, I'd think the easiest way would be a hook.. and just throw in html for your ad.