Sign in to follow this  
raymond_hofmann

Multi language menu and sidebar widgets

raymond_hofmann

I am trying to create a multi lingual site with PlatformPro (english, german). How could I make menu items (primary nav navigation labels) and sidebar widget titles language-dependent (english menu and sidebar widget titles for english pages, german menu and sidebar widget titles for german pages)? Seems that the standard for menus and sidebar widgets is that they are the same for the entire website. What I need is to make them differ on a page-by-age basis (english vs. german). Anyone who could help with this? Thanks so much in advance?

raymond_hofmann

Thanks so much for the pointer. I'm trying it out right now and it looks good as far as content and primary navigation translations are concerned. That's certainly a step in the right direction. What I am still struggling with is getting sidebar widget titles and theme strings (such as "leave a reply") translations to work. WPML lets me translate widget titles but the translations seem to be ignored when displaying on a translated page (only get the english original version). And theme strings translation does not seem to be supported at all. Anyone using WPML with PlatformPro and getting around the above issues? Or could it be a compatibility problem? Any further hints are much appreciated.

catrina

It might be a compatibility plugin (some plugins just don't play nicely with some themes). Have you tried using another multi-language plugin?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

raymond_hofmann

Yes, could be compatibility. Tried the "CodeStyling Localization" plugin as an alternative but ran into the same limitations. Anyone running a mulit-language site based on PlatformPro? If so, which plugin (or maybe entirely different approach) are you using? Thanks all for your help so far, it is greatly appreciated.

Sourena

"CodeStyling Localization" is a totally different plugin from "wpml". They have two different functions: "wpml" is for creating bilingual websites. "CodeStyling Localization" is for translating themes and plugin and generating ".po" and ".mo" files for them. I have had the best experience with "qTranslate". Try it: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/qtranslate/

alefba.us

Web Development & Design for Right-to-Left languages

Kate

Thanks for your input Sourena. @Raymond: If you need additional help, please feel free to post back.

raymond_hofmann

Thanks for the pointer, Sourena. I've experimented a bit with qTranslate and indeed it seems to deliver the best results so far. On top of it very easy to use. Thanks for your help to all of you.