Sign in to follow this  
znagle

Making The Footer Stay Within Fixed Width Layout

znagle

I'm using a fixed width layout with a repeating background image. The footer repeats itself to the edges of the page, but I would like it to stay within the 960px width that the rest of the layout is contained in. Is there an easy way to do this?

catrina

It's already 960px, but it's just that the background color (the black) is stretching to fit the entire width of the page. Add this code to the base.css file:

div.outline {background-image: url("URLFORREPEATINGIMAGE"); background-repeat: repeat;}

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

znagle

Thanks Catrina. I think I'm making the problem harder than it has to be. That code made my entire content area adopt the transparent background. Let's say I want to keep the footer black but just stop it from repeating outside of the 960px fixed area. Is there a way to do that?

Kate

@Zach Can you provide a link? If it's a fixed width layout, then setting the background of "#footer" should do what you want (out of the box). So, something like this:

#footer{background:#000000;}

Make sense? Or, are you going for something else?

znagle

Thanks for the input Kate. Unfortunately I'm still stuck. I think it might be an issue with the repeat property. Here's a link

Kate

@Zach Ah, gotcha... Thanks for the link. Try this:

#footer{background:#000000;width:980px;margin:0 auto;}