Sign in to follow this  
mandcadamsbigpondcom

Page Speed Issues

mandcadamsbigpondcom

My Google Webmaster tools is showing my page speed to be extremely slow. The suggestion Google is making is to enable gzip compression on certain files, the bulk of which are to do with the iBlog Pro theme. Being a nervous Nelly, I can't bring myself to touch any files before seeking advice here, not to mention I wouldn't know exactly where to begin if I did follow their advice. Here is a screen shot of one of many similar examples they're showing in my account: Siteperformance.jpg Where to from here? Thanks once again for any help you can offer me. Michelle

cmlstudios

Hi Michelle, You should install the "W3 Total Cache" plugin. It will help you set up page caching and the GZip compression. It is pretty comprehensive (i.e., a little overwhelming) but most of the default settings will work well enough to start optimizing the site. Cheers, Chris Lake

Kate

@Michelle That shouldn't be an issue. As with any major changes, I would recommend backing up your files first. (I would just do your entire wp-content folder, as it looks like they suggested gzip for some plugins too.) A little more about gzip: http://code.google.com/speed/articles/gzip.html

mandcadamsbigpondcom

Thanks for the advice Chris and Kate. Chris I recall updating a theme (not pagelines) on someone else's blog recently and from memory I believe there was a cache plugin installed. I ended up deactivating it as I found that when I worked on the site I couldn't get the changes to appear on the web page which meant I couldn't see if the design elements etc that I was tweaking were actually correct. It was frustrating to constantly have to clear my cache. Would this do the same thing or are they completely unrelated? I'm happy to install the plugin if that will improve page speed but does it mean I'll need to clear my cache when working and checking changes?

cmunns

Yes clear your cache or just disable the plugin when making changes, but it's definitely worth it from a page load stand point

mandcadamsbigpondcom

Ok, will do. Thanks Adam for clarifying that for me. Michelle

mandcadamsbigpondcom

Just reporting back re W3 plugin. Chris you weren't joking when you said it was overwhelming. I've spent hours on it and many things are broken still (in preview)...CDN not working, images missing etc. For anyone else who also doesn't understand the technical side of things, I would say forget attempting this on your own; pay someone who knows how to do it. I've spent almost four hours trying to make sense of things such as adding a CNAME...to those who know it's probably very simple indeed but I don't have a clue what even that is. A suggestion is for pagelines to install this with optimized settings in place within the theme package. Is that possible guys?

tgoodridge

Hi everyone. Following along here and having same problem with both load times AND the time it takes to load my wp-admin page- took about 2 minutes to load- i actually temporarily switched my theme back to my old solostream "clear" theme. Without going into the W3 plugin- what can i do- and WHY is the page taking so long to load from front end AND back end- old plugins? Thanks for any and all help. website is www.enterdialogue.com

jrustybishop

Same problems as the above. Super slow load times for site and admin panel. I have customers complaining and can't fix the speed no matter what I try. The page load issue is in the custom.css according to webapagetest.com. My suspicion is there is something incompatible with IBlogPro theme and WP 3.0.3. This is beyond my skills to fix. FYI- I cant load any Cache plugin at all without getting a Fatal Error message - tried 4 different ones this morning. Hopefully Pagelines will resolve soon. Can you send out an email letting us know?

jrustybishop

Problem solved finally. If you are having trouble loading W3 Total Cache plugin like i was on FatStax.com You will need to go to your server and edit the file named wp-config.php found in your domain folder. Add the code define('WP_CACHE', true); before the code require_once(ABSPATH . 'wp-settings.php'); which is at the very bottom of the file. I did it by SFTP, but your server may very. Once you do that successfully you can install and activate W3 Total Cache to speed up your iBlog Pro Blog. Hope you find it easier than me Happy Holidays