Sign in to follow this  
profellow

Create a Home Tab

profellow

How do I create a Home tab for my default home page?

Sourena

What do you mean by "tab"? A menu item? If that is what you mean you can customize your menu by going to Appearance > Menus Create a new menu there and use it in the theme.

alefba.us

Web Development & Design for Right-to-Left languages

profellow

Yep, I'd like to create a new menu item. I'm familiar with how to create a new menu item, however I'm not certain how to do so and assign it to my default page. Currently my home page (default page) shows recent posts. How do I create a new page that does the same; displays recent posts?

cmunns

Well if you are keeping your home page as the default posts page then just create a custom link to your home page and name it home when you create your menu tab

profellow

Well, I guess I meant to say that I don't plan to keep my homepage as the default posts page though. Ideally I want to decide using categories or custom fields what content shows up on the home page and where. So to do that I'll need to create a new home page I think? I'm struggling with how exactly to do that though as I'm a newbie to Wordpress and site design. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

shaunph

Once you have created your home page on the pages screen, you then go to Settings -> Reading and change your home page to a static page and select the home page you created. You can still insert dynamic content into the page even though it says "Static Page"

profellow

Thanks Shaun. Once I've created the page and set it to Home, how do I insert dynamic content? Sorry, I'm a beginner. Thanks for you help!

catrina

By dynamic content, Shaun means content that changes all the time (i.e. content that is constantly being updated, like Boxes or Feature sections).

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

profellow

Hi Catrina, I get that, but I'm not sure how to actually accomplish it. For example. I'd love to create a page that displays only certain categories. I'm considering using boxes for this. So for example, the website I'm creating is all about fellowships. There are many types of fellowships. I'd like to have a page that displays different types of fellowships in individual boxes. Similar to how CNN organizes content near the bottom of it's home page: sports (box) - 5 most recent stories), politics (box) - 5 most recent stories, and so on. How do I display content in such a way dynamically. Keep in mind I'm a beginner (literally 30 days of brute force and ignorance experience). Please help :)

makeylon

Ryan, Unfortunately, I don't believe there is an easy way to do that... yet. Though I've heard rumors that they are working on some really cool upgrades... But anyway, the way I've done it is kind of a hack, but it works, mostly. For example, in order to put latest posts into a box, I've installed a plugin called Exec-php which allows me to use php code inside of posts, widgets, boxes, etc. Then, in one box, I put the following code: <?php wp_get_archives('title_li=&type=postbypost&limit=5'); ?> This has to be done in the HTML tab of the editor. If you try and do it in the visual editor, WP will wipe out the code. What this code does is to show the last 5 post entry titles as clickable links. In another box you could get the latest post(s) from a different category by using the following code: <?php query_posts('orderby=name&order=asc&cat=43&showposts=100'); ?> <?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?> <?php the_title(); ?> <?php endwhile;?> Just enter the appropriate category ID where it says &cat=43 and the limit for posts at $showposts. This only lists the title, but you could also show excerpts by using the_excerpt() instead of or along with the_title() Hope that helps.