Sign in to follow this  
jordydme

Post titles h2 vs h1

jordydme

Can someone explain why the iBlog theme uses an h2 tag for post titles? For SEO purposes the page heading should be wrapped in an h1. I am thinking this may be the way WordPress does it? Regardless, is there a recommended fix for making my postitles an h1 tag site wide? i found this article on changing h2 to h1 for post titles in wordpress, but was wondering if you guys had a recommended fix for this

Kate

@JD There are differing thoughts on what is the most semantic and SEO friendly way: h1 for the site title, or for the page title. My personal opinion is the former, and therefore I'm cool with h2s for post titles, even on inner pages. (I didn't code the iBlog theme, so I can't say for sure "why" h2s are used. ;) However, if you're looking to change it, you'd have to go into the PHP file and find the occurrences of the h1 and h2 tags and swap out the ones you don't want. Now, keep in mind that with this approach, you're modifying the theme files. And, when you upgrade your theme, your changes will be overwritten. If you need any more details, please feel free to post back.