Sign in to follow this  
pegprideauxhotmailcom

Feature custom fields

pegprideauxhotmailcom

I have a page that uses the PlatformPro Feature Page template, which is defined to display the PageLines Features and Content Area sections. When I edit this page I see there are a number of custom fields related to the feature slider (they start with the text "feature_"). Where can I find out what the valid values are for these custom field keys?

bryan-hadaway

The first question would be exactly what are you trying to do and then maybe I can assist. Thanks, Bryan

pegprideauxhotmailcom

Sure, Bryan. What I am trying to do is change the look & feel of my feature slider. For example, I don't like seeing the thumbnails wrap, so I'd like to know if I can make it use carousel-type controls so only one line of thumbs are displayed. Now, there's a custom field named "feature_style". Maybe this is a field I could use, but I don't know because I haven't found any documentation that tells me what the valid values for "feature_style" are. Or maybe I can use the "feature_design" key, but I don't know the valid values for that one either. Or perhaps my answer lies in using one of the other keys that start with "feature_". Thanks, and I apologize if my original question was too terse.

Kate

@Margaret Could we get a link to your site? We might be able to help you accomplish this with CSS.

pegprideauxhotmailcom

Kate, it's http://golfportfolio.bohndev.com You'll see that I'm just starting to develop this site so there's not much there yet, but the feature slider on the home page is functionally complete (except for the thumbnail issue) even though it doesn't contain all the images it eventually will. Thanks!

bryan-hadaway

Yeah, we don't want to worry about feature_ or any of those other settings, instead CSS. As alternative, you might find that it looks nicer to just eliminate the thumbs: `#feature-footer .feature-footer-pad{display:none}` Paste that in Custom Code > Custom CSS. Thanks, Bryan

pegprideauxhotmailcom

Bryan, I daresay I am a bit nonplussed by your response. First of all, if the feature-related keys are not important, why are they there? In fact, I see that the feature page template *does* use two keys that start with "feature_": feature_items, and feature_set. Further, I am not "worried" about the key values, I simply want to know what their possible values are. It seems like a simple question to me. Are you saying that it is unreasonable for me to assume that someone at PageLines has this information? As for your second suggestion, I would be delighted to smile brightly and sweep the thumbnails under the rug but unfortunately the client wants them there and definitely does *not* like to see them wrap to more than one line. If I cannot do what I need to do with the PageLines feature slider, then please simply say so and I will seek another solution.

cmunns

Margaret Do not worry about the custom fields, because they are simply representative of the options that are already provided. You'll see that if you change one of the options under "Platform Pro Feature Options" you'll see the value reflected in the custom fields after you refresh.

kevinlearynet

Hi Margaret, Turning those 2 lines of thumbnails into a carousel shouldn't be too bad with the number of jQuery scripts that are available out there. As far as I know it's an out of the box feature for PageLines, so it will take some custom JavaScript/jQuery work. You can add your own code to the /js/custom.js file in PlatformPro, and then include that file by adding a custom Header Script. Under Settings > Custom Code > Headerscripts Code add the following:

<script type="text/javascript" src="/wp-content/themes/platformpro/js/custom.js"></script>

You'll need to change the path based on your installation directory of WordPress. Best of luck with the project!

pegprideauxhotmailcom

Kevin, thanks for pointing out a direction for me! Your response is most helpful. @cmunns, you are absolutely correct. I got a bit sidetracked there. Sorry.

kevinlearynet

No problem Margaret, I actually started working on some custom jQuery work today in /js/custom.js and noticed that jQuery wasn't working if custom.js is the Headerscripts Code area as I specified. If you plan to use jQuery code inside of custom.js you'll need to move the <script> call to the Footer Scripts & Analytics area instead, that worked for me.

pegprideauxhotmailcom

Again, thanks for the update, Kevin. Most helpful!