Sign in to follow this  
Scott93105

How do you format single blog page? Is there an equivalent to single.php?

Scott93105

I used Loop to create a wonderful blog post listing...  it's lacking some meta data, but it was quick and easy and allowed granular control over my layout.  How do I now style the single post view?

I realize there is no single.php file in PageLines.  How do I go about making some changes to the single blog post page.  I want to add meta data (post date, author, tags, categories, etc), move the Featured Image under the post title, etc, etc...  what is the easy way to do this?  I don't want to create my own section using the api.  Is there no other way?  I've been searching the web regarding this topic, but am unclear the best way to handle in PL?  Where exactly within the PL framework are the files that control the display of the single post page?

Thanks in advance for any help or insight!

chrisayers

Use the Loops Plug-in. You can do a LOT of meta data and custom arrangements. as for the single post page, I often use the mag-x instead of the wp-content. I do modify the CSS a tad ( like mine wider) .

Edited by chrisayers (see edit history)

chrisayers

Another way to get your single.php page back is to just choose a simple WP theme like twenty-sixteen and use PL5 with that not have the framework theme active. Pl5 works with most themes pretty well. Here is a site with PL5 and a theme I liked called CT Corporate. 

http://www.wracivil.com/

Scott93105

Thanks for responding, Chris!

Yeah - no problem making the directory (blog) with Loops.  It would be nice to be able to display the post categories in the directory listing (Loops doesn't do that yet, but I see commented out code that shows they have it on the horizon),  but yeah,  short of that I had no problem creating the blog page just as I wanted.  The single page seems to have been neglected completely?  It would be great to have something like loops for the single page too, where you can just place the elements you want to utilize in position, markup, style, and done!

So I can use the loops blog I have and then use Mag-x for the single page?  How can I do that?  Isn't Mag-x a replacement for loops or WP content?   I'll check Mag-x, thanks!

Hmmm?  I don't get it?  What is PageLines without the framework?  I thought that was the the whole thing?  Hahaha  I'm confused!  I checked the site link... it looks like a normal WP site... but you are using PageLines without the framework?  Isn't that just WordPress again?  I don't want to walk away from what I've done and the client brought PL to the table so I need to use it.  Check the link below.  I'm almost done - just need to finalize single post page and populate with real content. 

Here is what I'm working on now http://meetkevin3.wpengine.com/   User:  demo     Password:    04c63fa9b522    If you go to the Blog, click on any of the  posts... it's this single blog page I need to format a bit differently.   Where in the PL framework are the underpinnings of this page?  Is there an equivalent to single.php in the PL framework?

chrisayers

I looked at your website and it is really nice, good job. We can get you a single post page figured out.  Pagelines went from a theme to a plug-in when we went to PL5.  The framework theme is a skeleton theme. It does not have much CSS or extra templates.  PL5 works with most themes very well. You can use framework or another one.  I realize this site is nearing completion, but for your next project, or after you finish this one, play around with PL5 a bit with other themes. 

This is Corporate CT Theme.

WRA.jpeg

This is Twenty Sixteen

wra2016.thumb.jpeg.baaf5281f2db3424a19e663021f1aa2a.jpeg

This is Framework

wrapl.thumb.jpeg.fdec7ccdf04154e9ff2a70ee8202c9d0.jpeg

As you can see, PL5 Works just fine with changing the themes. The client really liked the traditional boxed look rather than full screen. You can edit the code to the header and footer functions to add PL5 there but for the most part I just use the themes navagation since it generally works as well as mega-nav.

chrisayers

Here is one workaround for you.

Create a new page

1.thumb.jpeg.0ba0b3201423315add284520c55acdea.jpeg

Click the shortcodes button and select loops from your Pagelines sections list and give it a name in the unique id.

2.thumb.jpeg.bfa099d309d5e3f2782fc08c7754e095.jpeg

It will then look like this.

3.thumb.jpeg.7edb4a4bbc2f1f92ed4da524a10a4e6e.jpeg

Publish it and edit it normally. 

4.thumb.jpeg.30cd07d9740fe9d1470d07db6084d0a5.jpeg

Now click on an article. Replace the WP Content section with Mag-X or another blog template.

6.thumb.jpeg.14777a21f10a3dae032cc0037811d05a.jpeg

Then go to your settings and declare the new page as your blog page and fix menu accordingly.

On a side note, you can also build really nice pages and posts by using the shortcodes on the backside like the other builders (Divi, Visual bakery). I do this a LOT.

Like this site.

rthome.thumb.jpeg.19aec65c79165540330a09128c16b464.jpeg

rt.thumb.jpeg.d129b1a00a4ea84b5bd11b350feff7f0.jpeg

http://rivalrythursday.com/

• Thanks 1

Scott93105

Wow!  Thanks, Chris!  I really appreciate your help.  You've enlightened me.

Thank you for the kind words too.  A talented designer supplied the layout and artwork for the site.  Working with nice assets always makes the job easier.  It's been a learning experience utilizing PL for the first time.  There are parts of it I love, and parts that really bug me :-)    If I have a chance to use PL again, I will do much differently :-)  Thanks again for your insight and taking the time to respond!