Sign in to follow this  
jacecar

Making PlatformPro CSS look like StationPro

jacecar

I was running the free Station theme for a while and was all set to buy it until I took a hard look at Platform. I really like the configurable nature of Platform, as it will make my life a lot easier down the road once I start (hopefully) selling websites, but I have one problem. I have a slight vision problem that makes white or otherwise bright themes painful, so I need a dark theme if I am to write/design for several hours a day. I'm also color-blind/color-deficient, which is part of the problem. I don't know CSS well enough to modify the color scheme of the default PlatformPro install to make it a dark (or at least not so darned bright) theme. I found the color tags in the setup, and modified them enough to make Platform less bright, but it is now virtually unreadable and quite ugly. :( As I stated in the topic, I like the look of Station and would like to match (or come close to) those colors, but I don't have the foggiest idea how to accomplish that. I don't need it to match so closely that would require someone to spend days duplicating Station... I just want to get close. Help? Take a look at my Perspectives site if you want to know what I mean when I say I messed it up.

>jace

@Jacecar

[email protected]

Andrew

Hey Jace, well we plan on implementing StationPro on Platform eventually.. until then Ok, so this is a tough situation.. we can help you a couple ways.. First, can you tell me exactly what I need to show you how to do? then I'll do a quick video tutorial for you. Second, this has made me think twice about some of the color decisions we've made. We'll look into adding a couple more options.

jacecar

What I don't want is a situation where a customer buys a $95 product and demands $500 in support. That's not good for anyone. I just want a dark option in Platform. That means I probably need to learn CSS, which is on my short list, but I would like to be able to enjoy the creative aspects of blogging -- the writing, comments, etc. -- in the meantime.

>jace

@Jacecar

[email protected]

jacecar

I assumed (incorrectly) that a professional theme like PlatformPro would have included a way to change a color schema without requiring admins to learn CSS. It doesn't mean I'm sorry I made the purchase -- far from it -- I just want it to do more than it does for a system that advertises itself as a "Drag and Drop WordPress Theme Framework." Now that I have a bit more time, I can explain a bit more what I would like to see. I'm fairly certain that other PlatformPro users would benefit. Unfortunately, this would be a much larger project than I have a right to ask without offering to pay you for it. StationPro offers multiple color sets that you can select on a page or section basis. That's a pretty cool feature, but all of the selections assume you want to maintain a dark theme. I would like something similar added to PlatformPro that would give you a few primary color schemas, and then a few child schemes within each category. Something like this: Primary color schema: [ ] Standard -- background, head, text, link, para, quote [ ] Dark -- background, head, text, link, para, quote [ ] Eco -- background, head, text, link, para, quote [ ] Modern -- background, head, text, link, para, quote ... where you show each color as it would appear once you make a selection. Each primary could use a different font or style, in addition to color, to set it apart from the others. After making a primary choice, it would open up a variety of options within each, so that the look/feel of the primary would still be in effect, but the colors would vary slightly. In the Dark schema, the primary would be a black background, white text, grey paragraph, light grey quote, and lightblue text/hover -- as an example. Then, in the sub-schema, you would then be able to choose a set of colors that work together, but are slightly different from the primary. They would keep the font and other distinctive features of the primary, but would only allow you to change colors within that. ... Alternately, you could build a universal Color Selector that would allow anyone using PlatformPro to build their own schemas. They would pick the background, font, style, text colors, etc. and save them for later recall for use on their entire site or on a category, or even an individual page. Once you got the Color Selector working, you could port it to the other base themes, or even make it available as its own PageLines Upgrade Product. NOTE: I am not a PHP developer, but as a software architect, I have designed and built many many systems out there. I would be happy to work up a properly-detailed proposal that you could then farm out or develop yourselves when you had time. ... For me now, all I want is a way to turn PlatformPro dark. I'll worry about the other stuff later.

>jace

@Jacecar

[email protected]

Kate

@Jace Obviously for right now more complex things need to be accomplished via CSS. However, the theme does have a couple of selector options built in under "PlatformPro->Settings->Global Options". Did you try those?

jacecar

Yes, I did, which is why I ended up with a hard-to-read set of colors. Check out my site Perspectives to see what I mean.

>jace

@Jacecar

[email protected]

bryan-hadaway

Good work so far, so let's get this taken care of with CSS. I assume you've been using: Custom Code > Custom CSS ? Okay, good. Let's start with the site title: ` #header #branding h1 a { color: #999999; font-size: 44px; letter-spacing: -1px; line-height: 0.9; text-shadow: 0 1px 0 #000000; } ` and then the footer text: `#morefoot{color:#ccc}` Okay, still want to style some more? Get me a list of what your want styled how and I'll write it up for you. Thanks, Bryan

jacecar

No, I have just been messing with the color codes in the settings. I should have taken the time I wasted there and learned a bit of CSS, but I had other things on my mind today. I will plug in your CSS snippet into the base.css (I think that's what it's called) in the sub-theme, so I don't mess with anything in the stock install. ... I have learned that PlatformPro is a very robust "platform" that will let me do amazing things once I learn how to put it all together. I'm excited at the potential I see in this product. >jace editor/producer of Perspectives

>jace

@Jacecar

[email protected]

Kate

@Jace Let us know if you need anything else. PS: The CSS can be added in the "Custom Code" section of the settings. ;)

jacecar

I'm still working on this on my site. I'm using a 'Web Developer Toolbar' plugin with an inspector that shows me the CSS that's being used for any given section or even a specific word. I can then copy that small CSS section to the custom code area, change the color, save and then refresh the window where I'm verifying the site to see what it has done. What I could use from someone -- not sure who might have this available -- would be a 'palette' of colors that go together and make sense (I refer to this as a schema) -- with their CSS codes alongside. I could then pick and choose and not wonder what background/foreground pairs I might be missing and what things are look like side by side. It is not easy for me and other colorblind folks to pick out a nice background color, then a text color, then a link color, and then a hover over link color and an active link, followed link, highlight, etc. -- and have them all look like they were professionally crafted. My choices end up looking like a circus, which might be nice for an actual circus, but not for a business site -- and then I inevitably miss something along the way. >jace P.S.: While the 'custom code section' works, it offends my sensibilities as a software architect. I really need to learn the fundamentals of CSS so I can create an entire schema that isn't fragmented and patched. I think I can get there using the Base child-theme, but it will be quite a project.

>jace

@Jacecar

[email protected]

cmunns

A great resource for color schemes is colourlovers.com You can browse until you see something that strikes your fancy

jacecar

I like that site, thank you. Between that and w3schools CSS tryout, a text editor to edit base.css in /wp-content/themes/platformbase/, and FTP, and I'm all set. Thank you for your help.

>jace

@Jacecar

[email protected]