Scott93105

What's the best way to handle this layout?

Scott93105

I recently built my first PageLines site.  Here is the layout

I used the Framework theme.  Here is a link to the staged site   username: demo   password: 6a34ce4312ae

The client had mixed emotions about the site and decided to change things up a bit.  Here is the revised desktop layout and the new mobile phone layout.

My questions:

I hoped to keep things easy and not have to create a child theme and mess with template code.  Is PageLines a good fit for this project?  Is the Framework theme the best start for this job?  Is there a single page theme that would work better to layout all these page sections in a responsive manner? 

Are there any particular extensions that would give me a head start on any of these page sections?

Is it best to use a bunch of media queries to alter the desktop view for mobile layout, or easier/better to use branching code to display a completely different page for the mobile?

edgarcheverier

PL5, it’s 100% responsive. 

but if you want to adjust something you can always use media query css in the LESS / CSS editor (you need the extension), and see your changes at the moment.

you will find many extensions in PL5 very useful.

Scott93105

Hi Edgar

Thanks for getting back to me.

Do you work for PL?  Are you the forum moderator?

Are you able to tell me exactly what extensions might be very useful for me for a particular section?  There are quite a few extensions.  For example, I'v tried 3 or 4 different nav menu plugins.  None of them were exactly what I wanted though I can get close with all of them...  before I customize any of them, is there one you would recommend?  Which one would you use to build the navigation illustrated in the Desktop and Mobile layouts above?  I'm not looking for actual code snippets or anything, but if you could generally tell me the approach you would take knowing PL as well as you do?  Yes, PL5 is responsive, but it's not responding the way my client wants it too, so I'm gonna probably have to get my hands dirty.  Would it be easier to create my own PL sections via the section api?  Should I be going down that road?

Scott93105

Just to clarify, yes, I did use the CSS LESS extension to create the first version of the site.  It's a painfully small interface though!  I'd hate to write all the media queries necessary in that CSS editor.  It often stops working until a screen refresh too.  I guess creating a child theme and editing the actual CSS with my preferred code editor is better and more efficient?

edgarcheverier

I’m  helping in the forum to solve common problems (CSS, interface, bugs ...), in extensions for NAV I recommend NavPro and MegaNav I use them personally. about layout I would recommend you try to solve it simply with Media Query.

when I use LESS / CSS, I divide the codes by parts, it's not like a Text Editor but it works quite well.

To be able to use PL5 you don’t need to have a very large knowledge of the Framework, it is a very simple interface to use, look at the extensions and there you can find everything you need.

I have my Mac right now in the genius bar :( I will have it again on Monday, if you have more doubts about the use of the Framework, we can make a quick Skype call the next week :)

• Like 1

Aires

Hi, I recommend that you use a child theme and store all your custom css in the style sheet. The less/css is a great extension and is useful for real-time changes. But I prefer to store actual css in the child theme for these reason:

1. I can stay organized 

2. I can find stuff easier if I need to make changes.

Also that layout should be easy to accomplish.

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

chrisayers
On 3/14/2018 at 5:56 PM, Scott93105 said:

Hi Edgar

Thanks for getting back to me.

Do you work for PL?  Are you the forum moderator?

Are you able to tell me exactly what extensions might be very useful for me for a particular section?  There are quite a few extensions.  For example, I'v tried 3 or 4 different nav menu plugins.  None of them were exactly what I wanted though I can get close with all of them...  before I customize any of them, is there one you would recommend?  Which one would you use to build the navigation illustrated in the Desktop and Mobile layouts above?  I'm not looking for actual code snippets or anything, but if you could generally tell me the approach you would take knowing PL as well as you do?  Yes, PL5 is responsive, but it's not responding the way my client wants it too, so I'm gonna probably have to get my hands dirty.  Would it be easier to create my own PL sections via the section api?  Should I be going down that road?

Kinda jumping in on this one as well. If you are into getting hands a little dirty, PL5 sections are not really that difficult to create. I have made about a dozen custom plugins for PL5 that I use for my clients. A good thing to also remember with PL5, is that since it is a plugin, it works pretty well with other themes. Using PL5 in the post or page loop as a shortcode in any WP theme is a hidden gem many people tend to overlook.

edgarcheverier

Thanks Aries and Chris, 

If you feel comfortable doing that, I think it's great, maybe it's a bit more complicated but definitely a good long-term solution. 

chrisayers
15 minutes ago, edgarcheverier said:

Thanks Aries and Chris, 

If you feel comfortable doing that, I think it's great, maybe it's a bit more complicated but definitely a good long-term solution. 

I guess for me as a long time PL user. I felt that DMS and the releases before it. PL gave you an entire "Home" and all you had to was decorate it. This is fine for most people and I made a lot of great sites with those. But with PL5, I felt like PL said "Ok here is a big tool box with a hammer and a screwdriver. Go build your own house."  PL5 was always meant for people who wanted to get dirty not just another WIX.  Did it scare the crap out of many of the old users? YES. But I have enjoyed PL5 the most after I learned how to pick up that hammer. 

Just my two cents.....

Edited by chrisayers (see edit history)
  • Like 1