PageLines Updater
Really Simple SSL
Schema App Structured Data
Sucuri Security - Auditing, Malware Scanner and Hardening  
Uber reCaptcha
Yoast SEO

Problem Below

Hi Team,

I am looking to style the Continue Reading Button with the PHP you provided in an earlier ticket here: 

I put the PHP code into my site, however I do not get my Icon back, I just get back Read More >>

I have attached a screenshot of the code in place on my site along with the output.

Interested to know what I may be doing wrong? - I am very new to PHP so a bit apprehensive on this.

The Images: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0i4JJXa2jdQN2xoakZNRUdmaU0

Let me know if you need any more information from me.

Dan Haddock

Hi Edgar,

Yeah I did think the Font Awesome could be the reason, so I tried that PHP without the icon, and it still has not updated the text.

Is there any reason why it may not have updated

Dan Haddock

Hi Edgar,

Thank you for answering last week!

I have implemented the better font awesome you suggested and unfortunately the PHP and Font Awesome Icons fail to render.

I have also added the CDN URL from FA to my header section, however this does not seem to have fixed the problem.

Do you have anything else I could try instead? It is not a major thing but would be good to have if possible.

Kind regards,

Dan

edgarcheverier

Hey again Dan, 

So there are two ways that a filter typically goes wrong... 

1. the filter name might be wrong ...(so are you sure you're using the right name of the filter?)
  2. the filter is accidentally being run after the function is executed... (where are you adding your hooks?)

The other possibility may be that its working but Font Awesome isn´t loaded correctly? e.g. have you inspected the output to see if the html is there?

edgarcheverier

actually i looked into this and the right filter name might be continue_reading_link

Dan Haddock

Hi Edgar,

Thank you for that,

I have just had a check over the docs and according to Pagelines the Filter for the Link inside the Read More button is this:

add_filter( 'continue_reading_link_text', 'add_my_continue' );
function add_my_continue() {
    return '<i class="icon icon-coffee icon-2x"></i> Read On';
}

...and then to add the surrounding A href tag into a class to style it into a button, you can use this filter with the continue_reading_link:

add_filter( 'continue_reading_link', 'btn_reading_link' );
    function btn_reading_link( $link ) {
            $link = str_replace( 'class="', 'class="btn btn-success ', $link );
        return $link;
}

I am pretty stuck. I have had a look at the console and can see no attempt to add the icon in to the Read More Link.

How can I ensure that the filter name is correct? Pagelines don't seem to list their filters.

Thank you for your continued help on this.

Dan

Dan Haddock

The Furthest I can get with it today is to actually get a Font Awesom Icon to render:

// Styling the Continue_Reading_Text 
add_filter( 'continue_reading_link', 'add_my_continue' );

function add_my_continue() {

return '<i class="icon icon-coffee icon-2x"></i> Read On';
}

Unfortunately this causes the Read more Link to cease being a link. I surrounded that with an a tag to nowhere as a quick test but that broke the site!

After backup, where can I go from here? The good news is that we have an icon. Bad news, now we have no link. :(

Thank you for your continued efforts.

Dan Haddock

Hi Edgar,

I feel like I have tried everything on this,

I have tried all the variations I can find mention of in the main DMS php files, and just resorted to putting the text directly into the Edit box provided for the time being. 

Is there any way we could get the list of updated filter names from the Pagelines team perhaps to ensure that that is still correct?

Any further help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

edgarcheverier

Hi Dan,

Here you have a list of the filters in DMS:

apply_filters (pl_legacy_postloop)
apply_filters (pagelines_get_article_post_classes)
apply_filters (pl_newloop_author_shortcodes)
echo apply_filters (continue_reading_link)
apply_filters (pagelines_posts_404)
apply_filters (pagelines_full_width_archives)

I hope this can help you

Dan Haddock

Hi Edgar,

Thank you so much for those links,

Where did you get that information from? - I think this is going to be a little more involved than first thought and I do not want to take up anymore of your time.

The code as it stands looks like this: 

// Styling the Continue_Reading_Text 
add_filter( 'continue_reading_link_text', 'continue_reading_text' );
    function continue_reading_text() {
    return 'Text Successfully Changed';
	}
add_filter( 'continue_reading_link', 'btn_reading_link' );
    function btn_reading_link( $link ) {
            $link = str_replace( 'class="', 'class="btn btn-success ', $link );
        return $link;
	}
echo apply_filters (continue_reading_link)

Is this the correct implementation for the echo function? - I am sort of new to PHP but have an understanding of Ruby and Javascript.

Kind regards,

Dan

edgarcheverier

Hi Dan,

Don't worry :), this information is from the DMS folder unfortunately only the developers have it, they sent me this information, in the echo function, you are missing the  ' '.

Best Regards,

Dan Haddock

Hi Edgar,

Thank you for sending that across,

I am interested to know, are you able to make this change to your Read More Button?

Kind regards,

Dan

P.S. I have only seen a difference in text if I lose the link to the related blogpost functionality.